Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Something I've been thinking about creating for some time now. These folks might be my second favorite fx house right now. They're a specialty shop for sure but the specialty work they do is so spectacular and innovative I am a huge fan now.

What is your favorite work of theirs? My favorite is their current work for Captain America 2 with the older Peggy. Just freak in fantastic work.

So not only have they pioneered a whole new area of fx work but also come close to perfecting it.

Bravo!

Edit: oops Peggy not Emily. :p. Emily Blunt...:D
Last edited by ShaneP on Fri May 08, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They are very innovative and the work gets better and better. Working in such a vain industry it's surprising that they seem to be the only ones doing this kind of work. Other companies must know and understand the process, and you would imagine there would be an enormous demand for this type of service, youthening actors.

The old Peggy is more interesting work than making people younger. Looking forward to more of this sort.
I remember not having a single clue that old Peggy was VFX work. I was like "Man, that make-up is good. Wonder if they enhanced it a bit digitally?" Only to discover that they went full Benjamin Button on us.

Also, I think Lola needs to get on some digital double action. Their aging work is great, and now just imagine if that work got applied to scenes like JFK in Transformers: Dark of the Moon or Clu in Tron: Legacy. Not saying that Clu was terrible (JFK was in like, one shot so I forgive it, and I actually think Clu's uncanny valley look helped the story), but Lola could definitely be getting some more work if they wanted.
Thought it was going to be a written article. Too bad they don't show how the work is done, like breakdowns, though there is a course about that at fxphd.

And since Mike lost all that weight he looks like he went for the Lola treatment.
Haha yeah skinny Mike, he should tell us his secret.

But what was up with the filming location, it's like it's so secretive seems they did it in the storage room. Good show nonetheless.
The water closet or the janitor's room.
I was just watching the bonus features for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 last night. They had a pretty decent section of the making-of pertaining to the VFX, and a nice (albeit brief) breakdown of what companies worked on what shots. No surprise that the skinny, emaciated Peeta was Lola's work.

I know they do more work than "digital face-lifts" and skinny people, but man, Lola's found their niche and they are working it hard. I love that they're the go-to company for digital cosmetics.
Their works have been impressive, but you'd be pushing it too far if you really think they are up there with ILM in terms of quantity of workload vs consistency. Still, I like that small vendors like them exist to do specific vfx so that the big guys can concentrate on the big stuff. What I don't like is when people who have little understanding of vfx complexity often consider small, simple, yet ultra realistic vfx tricks to be more arduous and creatively challenging, thus worthy of more praise than actual big, complicated shots shops like ILM do.
Their works have been impressive, but you'd be pushing it too far if you really think they are up there with ILM in terms of quantity of workload vs consistency. Still, I like that small vendors like them exist to do specific vfx so that the big guys can concentrate on the big stuff. What I don't like is when people who have little understanding of vfx complexity often consider small, simple, yet ultra realistic vfx tricks to be more arduous and creatively challenging, thus worthy of more praise than actual big, complicated shots shops like ILM do.
I don't think anyone is really claiming that Lola is on par with the likes of ILM for quantity. ;) Lola's got their niche, and boy, are they workin' it!