Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

BTW, nice in-deep review, Tyler!
Thanks. :D More of a rant than a review, but hey... ;)

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in with their thoughts on the movie/the VFX work. I saw it for the third time last weekend (going for a fourth next week), and my thoughts on the movie only get more confusing. :lol:
By aslan
Finally got to see this. It's alright I guess, diverting enough for two hours. At least there were nods to moving in another direction.

This is my first Blu-ray experience and I really like the image quality, so I have no hesitation in saying these were the best dinos on film yet. Lovely detail and animation, left me wanting much more.
By aslan
I know, it's baffling. The cg looked practical in shots that would have been practical in the past, so what difference does it make? Loved it when the bad dino got pulled under the water, such beautiful fluid sims.
Yep, of one of my favourite shots too. All the destruction sim looks very organic in that final fight between giant monsters. Another fav sequence of mine is the one where the assistant is dropped into the water by the flying reptile : the impact on the water's surface, the digital double, the underwater shots, all extremely realistic.
By ShaneP
Well remember 32 Ten did do some work on this show so it's possible some of those CG elements(like water splashes) that looked so practical might have been…well…..practical.
By Kmart
Well remember 32 Ten did do some work on this show so it's possible some of those CG elements(like water splashes) that looked so practical might have been…well…..practical.
Does 32 Ten do press at all for these shows, or is it just work as a 'silent partner' for ILM?

Still wondering about the Kerner credit on Trek09 ...
By ShaneP
Does 32 Ten do press at all for these shows, or is it just work as a 'silent partner' for ILM?

Still wondering about the Kerner credit on Trek09 ...
They did have a press release for JW mentioning their building of the front entrance to the park as well as other elements they built. Some of the explosions were also practical pyro.

Here:

http://www.32ten.com/project/jurassic-world/

Here's the entrance they built as a miniature:

Here's a crew member working on it:

Cool, I wouldn't have guessed that the gate was a miniature. Although, that was mostly based on the trailer shot from the front where it looked...terribly CG. The shot that's in the final movie (pictured above) is much better.

And I agree that the CG complaints don't seem as warranted. I watched the movie four times in theatres and a few times on Blu-Ray, and having the ability to freeze-frame and get up close and personal to the screen really allows you to see the details. Some of the shots of Indominus and the Raptors are so fantastic.

My favourite shot is, as others have said, when the Mosasaur drags Indominus down into the water. Ever since I was a young kid, I've always loved "big splashes", so that shot made me giddy in an embarassing way, ha ha.
Finally got to see this. It's alright I guess, diverting enough for two hours. At least there were nods to moving in another direction.

This is my first Blu-ray experience and I really like the image quality, so I have no hesitation in saying these were the best dinos on film yet. Lovely detail and animation, left me wanting much more.
Wow, really, aslan? Like, that was the first time you've ever watched something on Blu-Ray?
By ShaneP

Wow, really, aslan? Like, that was the first time you've ever watched something on Blu-Ray?
Yes, he just barely rid himself of dial up. He also has one of those brick cell phones. Here's a picture of him:

Yes, he just barely rid himself of dial up. He also has one of those brick cell phones. Here's a picture of him:

Aslan, you're gonna' love the 21st century. We've got things that are more impressive than Blu-Ray! Accessing the internet wirelessly, cell phones smaller than backpacks, cars with cameras that let you see when you're in reverse. Trust me, bud, you're in for a treat! :D
By ShaneP
I can't deny that aspects of amish life appeal to me. But I honestly don't hate cg or innovation, I love it. I'm just a whinny bastard.

Time for second milking.
You ever tried goats milk? Not bad. A bit of a bite to it,but not bad.