Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By vfx fan
I personally loved this movie and it's easily the best of the JP sequels.

Had no major qualms with the CG dinos, but the aerial shots of the camera flying around the welcome center at the beginning were dreadful.

The ending, while predictable, really put a giant smile on my face. I was almost ready to give an applause when the credits rolled if I weren't so restrained.
I loved the movie, it was really fun,action packed and dynamic, but they could have skipped completley the military sub plot about the raptors, that seemed very forced(but thanks to it, we had a thrilling action sequence with the soldiers, in the jungle).

The effects are amazing, easly the best creature work ILM has done since Pirates 2-3(not counting Rango). The animators were able to infuse so much personality in the dinos, expecially the raptors and the I-REX. There is a shot in wich the camera panned on the surface of a brontosaur(or what is its correct name) : the skin details were amazing, i had my jaw on the floor. The only problem i had with the fx Spoiler

When the Indominous-rex eats the fat guy , after she flipped the car, she looked really badly lit and composited, almost godzilla 98 level. But that's the only flaw i found in the CGI.
Watched it yesterday (The place where I live usually get to see movies a day or two earlier than the advertised release date). I have few things to say about the VFX.
Spoiler: show
I think while technically the CGI is more advanced than it was 15-20 years ago, there wasn't particular moment which made me awestruck at all. Even shots which were made to do that failed miserably. Now, I'm not saying that the CG is bad, it's actually better than Ultron and the movie certainly isn't a fest of dodgy CGI like Battle of Five Armies. Alas, nothing, even Indominus Rex, surprised me. If I have to pick a scene where I thought the vfx work was under ILM's usual standard, then I'd say it's when a herd of herbivorous dinosaurs stampeding past the gyrosphere the two kids were in. The dinosaurs themselves were great-looking, but the compositing was horrendous that seemed to be moving away from the plate. Even scenes that were supposed to be adrenaline inducing didn't manage to do what they were written to do. If all things are accounted for, however, I thought I had fun watching it when the credits rolled.

I don't agree at all about the scene you mention as being sub-par. For me it was magnificent from a vfx point of view, one of the best of the movie.
By ShaneP

Had no major qualms with the CG dinos, but the aerial shots of the camera flying around the welcome center at the beginning were dreadful.
I'm trying to remember those. Were those the initial flyover reveal shots of the park and the buildings?

I thought most, if not all, of the park environs shots looked excellent.
By vfx fan

I'm trying to remember those. Were those the initial flyover reveal shots of the park and the buildings?

Yeah, the shot where the camera flies over the park and moves onto the other building in the distance. It's that goddamn CG camera. It moves too smoothly. But you're right, the other environment stuff was great.

Oh yeah, and the opening shot was pretty bad, too.
By ShaneP

Yeah, the shot where the camera flies over the park and moves onto the other building in the distance. It's that goddamn CG camera. It moves too smoothly. But you're right, the other environment stuff was great.

Oh yeah, and the opening shot was pretty bad, too.
Ok. Yeah, that shot almost did move too smoothly for a aerial shot. It was an ambitious shot but they could've worked some flaws in there. Maybe it was a live action shot with a steadicam? But yeah I do remember thinking at the time: great overview of the park but almost too perfectly shot.

What was the opening shot? :lol: My memory is shot. You're probably thinking: did he see that damn movie? Trust me, I did. I just don't recall the opening shot.

Another great couple of shots were with "Blue" at the end when he leaves the people and runs off back into the park. I thought the compositing and lighting was superb in those handful of shots. Everything looked like it belonged. In fact, that whole ending sequence was pretty great in that regard.
By vfx fan
What was the opening shot? :lol: My memory is shot. You're probably thinking: did he see that damn movie? Trust me, I did. I just don't recall the opening shot.
I'm sure everyone here saw it, so spoiler tags aren't necessary, but just in case:
I'm referring to the dino hatching shot.
By ShaneP
I'll also note some of the credits:

Jeff Capogreco was listed as an Assoc. VFX Supervisor on this project. He worked at Weta as a CG and VFX supervisor. Tony Plett was a VFX supervisor. He was previously a VFX supervisor for ILM and Lucasfilm Animation on Strange Magic.

ILM veteran Glen MacIntosh was ILM's animation supervisor.
I loved the movie, it was really fun,action packed and dynamic, but they could have skipped completley the military sub plot about the raptors, that seemed very forced(but thanks to it, we had a thrilling action sequence with the soldiers, in the jungle).

The effects are amazing, easly the best creature work ILM has done since Pirates 2-3(not counting Rango). The animators were able to infuse so much personality in the dinos, expecially the raptors and the I-REX. There is a shot in wich the camera panned on the surface of a brontosaur(or what is its correct name) : the skin details were amazing, i had my jaw on the floor. The only problem i had with the fx Spoiler

When the Indominous-rex eats the fat guy , after she flipped the car, she looked really badly lit and composited, almost godzilla 98 level. But that's the only flaw i found in the CGI.
Disagree with this being the best creature work ILM has done since Pirates 2-3. Pacific Rim still holds the crown in my eyes.
I'll also note some of the credits:

Jeff Capogreco was listed as an Assoc. VFX Supervisor on this project. He worked at Weta as a CG and VFX supervisor. Tony Plett was a VFX supervisor. He was previously a VFX supervisor for ILM and Lucasfilm Animation on Strange Magic.

ILM veteran Glen MacIntosh was ILM's animation supervisor.
Animation-wise it's B team, then, if there's something like that at ILM in the first place.
A-team animation is usually led by Hal-Hickel.
By Kmart
I just read 48% of domestic for this was in 3d venues. I didn't realize anybody except kids were even going to 3d movies anymore (at least until we get laser projectors or something with some decent lumens behind it.)
By bigj1968
Well I have to say I really didn't enjoy this film, it was formulaic and basically a rehash of the origin with a few added story points. Thought Chris Pratt was the only watchable thing on screen.Vfx wise it was ok, would love to know the breakdown of who did what, guessing ILM did the Rex's and other stuff the other houses.Does anyone know?
Given how the movie is released but not everyone has seen it yet, what exactly IS the policy on spoiler tags here? I'll use them for courtesy's sake, but is there an actual guideline that we follow? A timeframe as to when it's safe to stop using them?

VFX-wise, I was impressed. Those trailers helped foster fears that things would look terrible, but man, ILM did it again. :D The close-ups of the raptors were amazing! I think there was one shot of Blue’s head in that restraining mouth-guard-thing that looked off, but the next time they cut back to it…gorgeous.
Rexy
wasn't as awe-inspiring as I had hoped, but that final shot of her on the helipad (up until that CG camera whipped around to get an OTS) was *Italian chef gesture*

As nice as it would've been to have some old-school animatronics (besides the dying Apatosaurus head), I feel like there was far too much dynamism and character that the dinosaurs displayed for animatronics to get the job done by themselves (sorry, Stan). Plus, I've already given my thoughts in the past of the whole "animatronic vs. CGI in the context of cinematography, framing, pacing, etc."-thing.
The aerial shots were really hit and miss for me. Some were great and others...not so much. :-? But none of them stood out as being completely terrible or anything. Like, a friend of mine and I had the fear that they'd go full Peter Jackson on us with the CG camera moves. But luckily they didn't even come close. Phew. Granted, there was still some questionable camera movement or framing with regards to the "obviously not real camera/obviously not real content being filmed". The difference being that Peter Jackson's level of impossible camera angles is "camera on an 800 foot crane as it pans over an erupting volcano and then cranes down to reveal a battle of 1000 orcs vs. 1000 elves as it swoops down so close that it's weaving in-and-out of their swords". With Jurassic World it was more like "invulnerable steadi-cam operator who is pointing the camera wherever and narrowly avoiding being stepped on by four massive dinosaur feet as they grapple around him". Slightly less preposterous, but still suffering from that "the camera/camera-man isn't real"-syndrome.
The ending, while predictable, really put a giant smile on my face. I was almost ready to give an applause when the credits rolled if I weren't so restrained.
Not to sound like a psychic or anything :e_ugeek: , but myself (and plenty of other people, too) totally called how it was going to end ages ago. Not that that's a bad thing. :D I just remember saying
"There's no way this movie ISN'T going to end with a Tyrannosaurus vs. Indominus battle". Heck, as soon as they revealed the Spinosaurus skeleton in the park, I immediately knew that - regardless of the presence of a "final battle" - Rexy was going to smash the s**t outta' that thing. :lol: The Mosasaur addition
was also predicted by a lot of people, but again, it's not like that ruined the moment for me. In fact, I ruined that moment for myself. :lol: A few days before I saw the movie I did something that I immediately regretted and the little angel on my should was telling me not to to, but I did it anyway. I Youtube'd "Jurassic World final battle". STOP IT, TYLER. DON'T DO IT. I clicked on a five minute video that was obviously recorded from someone in the theatre. SERIOUSLY. YOU'LL REGRET IT. I didn't watch the whole clip, but instead I chose to just randomly click at 3:33 on the timeline, just to see what that particular moment was. TYLER, DON'T! And of all the luck, that exact moment that I chose to click was the
"Indominus about to charge Rexy and Mosasaur jumps out and grabs Indominus"-shot
. WHAT DID I TELL YOU, TYLER?! I didn't even watch more than 3 seconds of it, but it was the absolutle game-changing, pinnacle, awesome climax moment of the video, and I brought it on myself. It was great to see it on a 50' screen, and like I said, the "predictability" and my spoiling it for myself in no way dampened by enthusiasm and smile. :D
The only problem i had with the fx ...
When the Indominous-rex eats the fat guy , after she flipped the car, she
looked really badly lit and composited, almost godzilla 98 level. But that's the only flaw i found in the CGI.
I saw this comment of yours, ninja, and specifically paid attention to that shot. YIKES. :eek: But it wasn't the work on
Indominus that made me cringe, it was the compositing of Mr. Fat Guard
that did it. :cry: It just looked...so bad. Like, obvious green-screen element shoddily composited into the shot with some iffy looking shadows-levels of bad.
Maybe it's one of the shots ILM sub-contracted to another, smaller vendor?
Given that there were a good half-dozen other vendors on the project, it really makes me wonder what the breakdown of work was like.
I just read 48% of domestic for this was in 3d venues. I didn't realize anybody except kids were even going to 3d movies anymore (at least until we get laser projectors or something with some decent lumens behind it.)
Yep, 3D is still a thing. :wink: But it's not so much “only kids are going to see 3D” as it is “90% of the screenings that theatres offer are 3D”. Like, my theatre, for example would have three showings a day in Ultra AVX 3D, three showings a day in regular 3D and then one showing a day (usually an ill-timed evening showing, like 5:40pm) in regular non-3D. So the choice is almost made for you.

Now, onto non-VFX-related things. I’m too lazy to spoiler tag some of this stuff, so just assume that there’s spoilers in the rest of it.

-I’m not sure whether to love or hate all of the references and homages to the past films. Part of me thinks they were subtle and/or enjoyable, and another part of me felt like Trevorrow was trying to unzip my pants.

-I, uh...I was definitely pleased with Bryce, if you know what I mean. 8)

-BD Wong was awesome. I love me D'Onofrio, but he was just missing his mustache and black hat. Like, as soon as he showed up and was all "Wouldn't it be cool if your Raptors could do things that you're obviously not comfortable with them doing?" I was like WELP HELLO MR. VILLAIN

-Holy crap did they build that amusement park fast. :eek: Even if we assume that in fall of 1993, after the horrific events of the first movie, they immediately started construction on JWorld, that's still A LOT to do in 22 years. All of the animals, all of the resources needed to properly sustain the animals, the ability to entertain 20,000 visitors, living quarters, food, supplies, several 15-storey hotels, the Mosasaur lagoon... that's a heck of a lot in 22 years. And then you stop and consider that they probably didn't even start in 1993.

-"Mom and Dad are getting a divorce!" and...never brought up again and has no bearing on anything. That's "the results came back, I definitely have breast cancer"-levels of relevance.

-I realize that they can’t showcase the entire hierarchy of the Masrani Corporation or inGen’s security team, but I got the vibe of the park being MAJORLY understaffed. And not like in the first movie where they sort of had a reason. But more like “there’s only four people who supervise the entirety of the Raptor Squad? A trainer, an assistant and two guys who wrangle pigs?” There should be, like, 15 people involved in the Raptor Squad. Or “Claire is showing around only three investors?” It’s like they had the heads of only four important people in the entire park – Masrani, Claire, Hoskins and Wu. And Owen, I suppose. But he’s like a glorified animal trainer.

-And relating to that^, you’re telling me that someone actually gave the go-ahead for the geneticists to keep their dino-hybrid work A SECRET?! Not the COO Claire, not the owner/CEO Masrani, not even the head of security Hoskins knows what makes up Indominus or any of the other potential hybirds? How…how can you keep that detail a secret in a corporation like that? Nobody would be able to do their job properly! I totally get that they had to keep that information secret for the purpose of the big reveal, but at it just seems like a massive leap in logic for an audience member (or a character in the film) to be okay with that. No company would keep that kind of thing a secret from Claire or Masrani or even Hoskins! This isn’t Willy Wonka! This isn't some "I can't tell you what makes up the 50 foot man-eating monster because that would ruin the magic". inGen’s own, pseudo-militarized security team wouldn’t be able to realistically do their job without knowledge of every single one of the animals on that island. Heck, those soldiers should be animal experts in their off-time. Regardless of animal or situation, that security team should have all of the information necessary in order to protect the visitors and staff from anything. Knowledge of the animal’s appearance, behavior, personality, size, whatever. That kind of information would be invaluable. And you’re telling me that they specifically designed a dinosaur to be a mix of the most dangerous animals/dinosaurs (read: A MONSTER) but, for whatever reason, kept the information a secret known only to the group of geneticists? No. No, no, no. My boss wants to know how long it’ll take me to shred paper. No way in hell the Masrani Corporation would be okay with “what is Indominus Rex made of?” being a secret. No. That information would be filed away in a dozen different supervisors and departments’ cabinets. The geneticists were given free reign to create whatever the heck they wanted and didn’t have to get approval on anything or tell anyone? That information would be known before they even got to the test phase. That information would be signed off and approved on ten different levels of administration before Indominus even hatched. Again, I understand that things needed to be that way for the plot to progress in a certain way, but really?

-I get that we wouldn’t have been able to have that awesome final battle without this, but does anyone else think Claire’s plan was laughably flawed? So what if they know the Rex is attracted to flares? Her plan was to get the Rex’s attention with the flare, successfully outrun it and hope that leading it to Indominus would Serizawa-it and LET THEM FIGHT? What if it didn’t even care about the flare? What if it didn’t chase her? What if it chased her and caught her? What if Indominus showcased the same Dracula-mind control over Rexy as it did with the raptors? What if they didn’t even acknowledge each other and the Rex just strolled down the sidewalk looking for a place to nap? It just seemed to happen because WE NEED FINAL FIGHT AND PEOPLE WANT REX.