Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
ILM London just hired Jason Horley, a 14 year matte painting veteran of Framestore, to lead their matte department.
By aslan
I shall have a t-shirt printed with Skystalker for when I undertake my creepy observations!!

So ILM are really raiding Framestore for their crew. I guess the facility must be operating by now, would have thought there would be some updates like we had with Vancouver.
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:I shall have a t-shirt printed with Skystalker for when I undertake my creepy observations!!

So ILM are really raiding Framestore for their crew. I guess the facility must be operating by now, would have thought there would be some updates like we had with Vancouver.

Yes, it's up and running and working on Avengers 2 and Episode 7. I really hope the future brings them British industry film work too. This needs to have roots in the home country while also having the ILM brand.
By aslan
Just been reading at vfxsoldier that all ILM studios are packed to the gills with personel and work. They are booming.

The friend of a friend of a friend guy that I never met also moved from Framestore apparently.
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:Just been reading at vfxsoldier that all ILM studios are packed to the gills with personel and work. They are booming.

The friend of a friend of a friend guy that I never met also moved from Framestore apparently.

When John Knoll said they were booked for a decade I don't think he was being facetious.
By aslan
Was about to post this. Good to see an official opening. Somewhat marred by the attendance of our glorious chancellor, that despiser of the poor and disabled, champion of the rich elite, mr George Osborne.

Interesting to see the press releases claiming that ILM London will service the British film industry aswell as working on the other ILM shows. Just what we were hoping for, it's own unique identity and workflow.
By vfx fan
aslan wrote:Was about to post this. Good to see an official opening. Somewhat marred by the attendance of our glorious chancellor, that despiser of the poor and disabled, champion of the rich elite, mr George Osborne.

Interesting to see the press releases claiming that ILM London will service the British film industry aswell as working on the other ILM shows. Just what we were hoping for, it's own unique identity and workflow.

I just want to see ILM get a shot at a Bond movie!
By aslan
I don't see ILM getting Bond. It's such a British institution with lots of little Englander mindset about it. They will always go with the British companies I feel.

I would like to see them on a Nolan film too, but again, why would he abandon his relationship with Dneg? He doesn't seem the sort.
By TylerMirage
aslan wrote:I would like to see them on a Nolan film too, but again, why would he abandon his relationship with Dneg? He doesn't seem the sort.

But why would ILM work on a Nolan film? ILM's a CG company and Nolan doesn't use CG. That's like asking if a vegetarian is ever going to try KFC.

COME ON, ASLAN. GET WITH IT.
By aslan
Of course Tyler, I forgot :oops:

It must be a sweet job at Dneg to work on a Nolan film. Just kick back and have cocktails.

Those poor practical guys have it tough though. They have to build entire cities and go to space !!
By TylerMirage
aslan wrote:Of course Tyler, I forgot :oops:

It must be a sweet job at Dneg to work on a Nolan film. Just kick back and have cocktails.

Those poor practical guys have it tough though. They have to build entire cities and go to space !!

Not to mention how KNB did that amazing, intrusive make-up for Two-Face in TDK!
Oh, that wasn't KNB?
Winston's guys, right?
Baker?
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:I don't see ILM getting Bond. It's such a British institution with lots of little Englander mindset about it. They will always go with the British companies I feel.

I would like to see them on a Nolan film too, but again, why would he abandon his relationship with Dneg? He doesn't seem the sort.

I could see Bond going with ILM London. Cinesite worked on many back when they were owned by Kodak, a US firm. And ILM has stated a desire to plant roots in the UK film industry so I think it's certainly a possibility.
By aslan
I wonder what the projects that Ben is waiting by the phone for will be?

Maybe Bond is a possibility?
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:I wonder what the projects that Ben is waiting by the phone for will be?

Maybe Bond is a possibility?

I think it said he was going to be on the phone. Meaning he was going to be making calls not waiting for a call. That's how I took it anyway.

But it sounds like they don't want to be huge exclusive of all else. They want to be connected to the community and growing from artists within that community is the right way to do it.
By malducin
Well I would think first he should be calling previous clients, say like Tim Burton, Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg.
By aslan
There's a rumour about ILM pushing the London and Vancouver facilities to the forefront in terms of staffing. May be nothing as of yet but I have real concerns about the long term future of the San Francisco branch. Hell, California in general. I can't imagine ILM losing great people, who we all know of here, in order to chase the tax break.

In general I am very weary of the wealth led status quo, finance above all other human concerns. I know it's nothing new and I have no solutions, but this past weekend has seen the contrasting images of dead refugee children washing up on shore, to adults running and screaming in pursuit of some new toys at the click of a corporations fingers.