Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By aslan
ILM are indeed opening a facility in London. Ben Morris is the creative lead, fresh off supervising Gravity.
By vfx fan
I wonder if this means ILM will finally get a shot on doing work for a future James Bond movie?
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:ILM are indeed opening a facility in London. Ben Morris is the creative lead, fresh off supervising Gravity.

Wow. They're not messing around. That's a pretty damn good start. Over a decade at Framestore. I hope they go all out in the UK and not just do a pod there.
By TylerMirage
Oh, come on! Why no facility in Alberta, Canada!?!?! :p

But seriously, that's awesome!

vfx fan wrote:I wonder if this means ILM will finally get a shot on doing work for a future James Bond movie?

YES! YES PLEASE!
By aslan
Obviously I will at some point hang around outside this new facility like a creepy stalker, staring and shifting wierdly from one foot to another. :eek:
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:Obviously I will at some point hang around outside this new facility like a creepy stalker, staring and shifting wierdly from one foot to another. :eek:

Oh great, I can't wait for the report on TMZ: Crazy guy camps out in front of special fx facility in London. Is arrested for photobombing PM Cameron during ribbon cutting.

It will be interesting to see how much they crew up there. That might tell us what their plan is for the locale. Is it just going to work on the main Presidio slate or will they be able to work on their own shows? If it's the latter, they could get very very big. DNeg big.
By aslan
I must qualify my previous post to assure everyone that I was joking. Reading it back it seemed a little too real. However, if that tory git Cameron was indeed to open the new facility I might have to change my mind. I LOATHE this cabal of soulless right wing bastards in charge at present.

It would be great if it turns out to be a full service facility in it's own right, not just a front for rebates.
By ShaneP
I think everyone who follows these threads know we like to joke about stuff like our ILM geekness. Making fun of our reasonable craziness is a trademark here. Remember, fan is short for fanatic. There is a certain amount of fanaticism involved, otherwise this site would not exist at all would it. We are ILM geeks. We crave every morsel of info. Why? Because we are fans.

But I agree about full-on facility in its own right. The UK has had a tradition for film fx that other territories offering rebates have not. So I don't see any reason why ILM-UK couldn't become a self-sustaining enterprise largely, while still having strong ties to the Presidio.

I just would like to see them work on films as the main facility too not just supplementing work already being carried in the states.

The first start to not being a studio solely due to rebates is to not act like one. Ground yourself in the community. Plant roots. Hire more locals. Work on British films. I like the Ben Morris hire a lot.

Having said that, retaining some ties to ILM and its lore and history and branding is essential. But it shouldn't be the only thing. Not in the UK. ILM-UK could be so much more if the powers that be want it.

But who knows. Maybe they just want a pod and hire for projects generated stateside in NoCal?

Recent history suggests it will be like Vancouver, a Pop-up digital studio. Since the early 00's when ILM shuttered its Commercial Productions shingle in LA and they moved to the Presidio and downsized, they have seemed timid(or maybe smart? Depends on your POV or knowledge of the situation) towards expansion.

But Lucasfilm has a long history with the UK film industry it has not enjoyed in other parts of the world so there's sense to them opening a facility there. One could almost ask: what took them so long?
By aslan
Well, I say that I'm joking, but...

Well put Shane, couldn't agree more with your points.
By bigj1968
Carl let me know when you are going!! The Presidio, Singapore and Vancouver are just a bit out of the way. London is a tad closer. ROAD TRIP!!! Again only playing but wow to the news.
By ShaneP
Road Trip 3: On the Road with Carl and J.

Rated C for crazy. :p

You can be the ILM-London version of Bill and Ted or Jay and Silent Bob.
By TylerMirage
Let's be honest here, which one of us wouldn't awkwardly pace outside of an ILM facility, pressing our greasy foreheads up against the glass to get a better look? :lol:

By TylerMirage
ShaneP wrote::lol:

Wait, there's a woman with us?

Yeah, I doubt it. :P

Yes. She can be, uh ... Cynic? *runs and hides*

;)
By ShaneP
Framestore veteran Michael Eames has joined ILM-London as a animation supervisor. He spent 10 years at Framestore and the last few years at Prime Focus. He animated at ILM in SF back in the mid to late 90's.
By malducin
ShaneP wrote:Framestore veteran Michael Eames has joined ILM-London as a animation supervisor. He spent 10 years at Framestore and the last few years at Prime Focus. He animated at ILM in SF back in the mid to late 90's.

Whoa! Link to the source?
By ShaneP
His profile on LinkedIn.com. I stumbled across it when I was looking for this Israeli Air Force documentary ILM is working on. His name was mentioned off to the side (in similar profiles) as ILM Animation Supervisor. I clicked on it and there it was. Been there for 8 months apparently.