Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By ShaneP
aslan wrote:There's a rumour about ILM pushing the London and Vancouver facilities to the forefront in terms of staffing. May be nothing as of yet but I have real concerns about the long term future of the San Francisco branch. Hell, California in general. I can't imagine ILM losing great people, who we all know of here, in order to chase the tax break.

Yeah, a rumor popped up last week or two about this. It's not surprising they would want to push London more aggressively. I assumed they wanted to grow that locale anyway. Disney shoots films there and have pushed for more incentives, along with the other studios. But, I wasn't expecting them to staff up London at the expense of SF. Hope that's really not the case.

However, China and the rest of the world being a larger % of BO now than North America changes things. So Van and London could become the main staffing hubs with SF being the design and supervisory locations.

We will just have to wait and see.
By aslan
Your proposition does seem sadly feasible Shane.

America needs to be careful with it's outsourcing, it's playing directly into the secret plan all of us Brits know about concerning taking back our colony.

I've said to much.
By ShaneP
aslan wrote:Your proposition does seem sadly feasible Shane.

America needs to be careful with it's outsourcing, it's playing directly into the secret plan all of us Brits know about concerning taking back our colony.

:lol:

I knew the Illuminati and the New World Order was connected through the Bank of England somehow! I knew it! Cameron is a puppet! :P

On a serious note, it is unfortunate that this outsource model seems to be so prevalent now. But, Americans want cheap goods more than manufacturing jobs apparently. We don't really make stuff anymore. I would blame the studios but the vfx workers thus far have seemed too fractured to do anything worthwhile about it. The facilities are really stuck and unable to do anything for fear of rocking the boat(the status quo you mentioned earlier).

So until and unless vfx workers push up from the grassroots, the outsource model will only accelerate in my opinion.
By ShaneP
Hearing 10+ year DNeg veteran David Vickery joined ILM London recently. His vfx supervisory credits include Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2 and this Summer's Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation.
By aslan
A good recruitment. So Ben Morris may be the main supe on 8 ? Meaning London might be the hub facility?
By ShaneP
Julian Foddy, a nine year DNeg veteran, has joined ILM London and is supervising that facility's vfx work for TMNT2.