Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By Kmart
Hey, has anybody read the Failes' MASTERS OF FX book yet? I just got a copy (am starting to finally get to do book reviews for HD Video Pro, did THE 2001 FILE for current issue http://www.hdvideopro.com/film-and-tv/f ... gs-to-come ) and was pleasantly surprised to find stories I'd not heard before, even about shows I'd covered, like how Knoll got tired of boards and went to previs after a shot of the Enterprise-B in prologue to GENERATIONS wouldn't work as desired because the perfect angle as drawn wasn't realizable with an actual model and camera. In a perfect world there'd probably be an eight-times-longer version, but really I'm pretty impressed. thus far.
By ShaneP
Yes I've watched the Resurgence trailer twice now. Goldblum's quips during the scenes of destruction were pretty hilarious. I thought the vfx were just more of the same we've seen a million times but then so was the original.
By Kmart
weren't the effects very previs/animatcy looking? I mean, I had just skimmed through SAN ANDREAS during the comcast watchathon and while there was a mix of excellent and WTF there, the ID stuff all looked very cartoony to me, somewhere between videogames and that BATTLESHIP weirddaylighting look.
By ShaneP
Kmart wrote:weren't the effects very previs/animatcy looking? I mean, I had just skimmed through SAN ANDREAS during the comcast watchathon and while there was a mix of excellent and WTF there, the ID stuff all looked very cartoony to me, somewhere between videogames and that BATTLESHIP weirddaylighting look.

Exactly. San Andreas, ID4, Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Battleship, etc, etc. As you said, a mix of grandiose destruction well done with WTH were they thinking alien ship shots. And it's all stuff we've seen before as you noted. Emmerich has been parodying himself for over a decade now. The only films he does worth much of anything are ones out of character: Anonymous, The Patriot, and Stonewall. The rest are just big budget remakes of '70s disaster flicks of greater and lesser quality.
By Kmart
Here's hoping this is not his homage to BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE or WHEN TIME RAN OUT (and yeah, I actually saw those in the theater opening weekend because a friend of mine was an I. Allen fanatic.) My main memory for WHEN TIME RAN OUT was that I bought the model kit for the TREK TMP klingon ship right before going to the movie theater.
It's basically the director's cut dvd from the beginning of the century, just with a couple lines of dialog re-dropped. A variation on the ABC version, so you've got a couple extra minutes, nothing essential. When it went under 15 bucks at amazon I broke down and ordered it, because I do like the longer K/S/M scene in midfilm, and I'm interested in seeing how much better the visual presentation is.
Kmart wrote:It's basically the director's cut dvd from the beginning of the century, just with a couple lines of dialog re-dropped. A variation on the ABC version, so you've got a couple extra minutes, nothing essential. When it went under 15 bucks at amazon I broke down and ordered it, because I do like the longer K/S/M scene in midfilm, and I'm interested in seeing how much better the visual presentation is.

I've read some reviews on Amazon that say it is a excellent HD transfer but compared to what I'm not sure. Frankly, that's all I want. If letting the filmmakers go back and "fix" TWOK means adding craptacular vfx(Trek OS remastered, ST:TMP Director's Cut, SW Special Edition, come to mind)then I hope they never "fix" it.
It's a very honest looking transfer, very much like the original theatrical presentation. That means it is a little dull looking, but really, it is VERY solid. I just leave the menu setup on, because it just cycles several space shots of the Enterprise, which look really really good -- makes me realize how magical the Trumbull TMP ship stuff would look with a new transfer.)

New documentary was a disappointment, almost no new info at all.
I recently watched a few movies:

I watched THE WITCH, which was a great, atmospheric horror movie entirely because of its music and the cinematography. It all made me feel uneasy, which was great. The only thing I didn't like about it is the way the characters used an older version of English (Shakespearean era), which made it hard to understand. But overall, it was a genuinely creepy experience if you like atmospheric horror without excessive jump scares. B+

I also watched GREEN ROOM, and man, Patrick Stewart deserves an Oscar for this one (doubt he'll actually get one, sadly). It was also shockingly graphic in a way that made me cringe (and I love gory movies). A great survival movie not for the squeamish. A-
After watching THE CHANGELING (1980 horror movie with George C. Scott), I am now on a '70s haunted house movie binge. Sadly, most of them are low quality YouTube videos.

THE CHANGELING, on the other hand, deserves a blu-ray release. The film is so gorgeous and so chilling to look at. While the sound and score were beautifully atmospheric, many of the film's scares came from the performances -- many of the characters' reactions to things were more frightening than the actual object that frightens them.

Alas, the only way this movie will get a blu-ray release is when a shitty remake gets greenlighted.

And while I'm in the minority of people who sorta liked Jan De Bont's 1999 remake of THE HAUNTING (the first half had genuinely atmospheric moments before degenerating into a cartoon in the second half), THE CHANGELING was an absolute perfect horror movie that I don't see how it could be remade.