Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

malducin wrote:
ShaneP wrote:I think the guitarist needs his own spinoff movie.

Both Imperator Furiosa and Guitar Guy need their own movies. If I had a big birthday bash I would have Guitar Guy with drum guys as the live entertainment.

:lol: And you could count on them continuing to play no matter what happened.
I haven't commented for a while on here, but have to say as an action,Sci fi,fantasy fan I actually came out of Fury Road disappointed. Yes the stunts were beautiful done but that was it for me.I cgi augmented environments were too much, not realistic enough.A film called Mad Max should actually involve him more and what was going on with the mumbling and his accent, it wasn't Australian for sure.guitar gimp drove my girlfriend nuts and the vehicle design was too over the top.Wow just realised I really didn't like the film!!
An actual conversation on TransformerWorld2005 regarding Fury Road...

Person #1: "I hope every vehicle that got destroyed actually got destroyed instead of CGI."

Person #2: "They did. All the vehicle stunts were practical."

lulz

Yep. Every single vehicle stunt was practical, including when a sand-twister lifts several trucks 300 feet in the air. They did that s**t fo' real. :roll:
Kmart wrote:Sounds like Dorothy Gale must have been the onset physical effects supervisor.

When the war boys prepare to die they have their mouths sprayed with chrome in a can……or is it tin? Tin Man?

Mad Max Fury Road….it's yellow like the yellow.brick.road.

George Miller is from Australia….otherwise known as the land of..OZ.

:eek:

There weren't any Pink Floyd songs on the soundtrack were there?

:e_surprised:
ShaneP wrote:
Kmart wrote:Sounds like Dorothy Gale must have been the onset physical effects supervisor.

When the war boys prepare to die they have their mouths sprayed with chrome in a can……or is it tin? Tin Man?

Mad Max Fury Road….it's yellow like the yellow.brick.road.

George Miller is from Australia….otherwise known as the land of..OZ.

:eek:

There weren't any Pink Floyd songs on the soundtrack were there?

:e_surprised:

George Miller obviously planned Fury Road as a contemporary view on the story of The Wizard of Oz, in addition to his goal of upsetting all of those macho males out there... who are boycotting the movie...for whatever reason...
Well that would apply to the girls as well right. There's Cheedo that needs bravery, and Zoë Kravitz is referred as Toast the Knowing (has the brains), and Capable might refer to a Tin (Wo)man?
malducin wrote:Well that would apply to the girls as well right. There's Cheedo that needs bravery, and Zoë Kravitz is referred as Toast the Knowing (has the brains), and Capable might refer to a Tin (Wo)man?

Stop it! :eek: This is starting to freak me out!

:P
The Cynic wrote:2000 fx shots for MAD MAX...

Doesn't surprise me. Given all of the wire removal, matte paintings and digital enhancements to the many, many practical effects work.

Still wish I could get the chance to throw this number in people's faces. Mostly the "they did everything practically"-people, to show that regardless of the amount of practical work, there's always gon' be that oh-so-hated CGI touching things up. :roll:
Marc Forster is going to direct a Stanley Kubrick script based on in the U.S. Civil War.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/stanl ... 201525252/

The script reportedly follows the Confederate Mosby's "raiders" and the Union's George Custer as they fought in the Shenandoah campaign of 1864.

If the first film is successful, they plan on taking Kubrick's script and creating two further films, both dealing with the post-Civil War era and westward expansion with Custer at the center.

I really hope this means we get some epic Civil War battles helped with digital technology without having to rely solely on reenactors.

Is Marc Forster the right guy for the job? QoS was my least favorite of the Craig Bonds and there were rumors of Forster dropping the ball on WWZ, but the guy certainly has an ability to direct different types of stories and genres.

Plus, anything Kubrick immediately has my interest.

Now if someone would shoot that Kubrick Napolean script already. 8)
I got to see PIXELS yesterday. It was the first Adam Sandler movie in a good long while that made me laugh at least once.

Although at its core, PIXELS is merely another Happy Madison "comedy," and Adam Sandler himself is obnoxious as usual, the film drags behind it a bag of intriguing concepts and pits the unfunny characters into humorous situations, not to mention gorgeous fx by Digital Domain 3.0 and Imageworks. In this way, it was similar to BEDTIME STORIES.

I did not think the 18% on Rotten Tomatoes was justified, and the fact that critics claim to not think kids will get the Pac-Man, Centipede, and other arcade references is a demeaning insult to the audiences' intelligence. Though frankly, I did not get the impression that this PG-13-rated production was intended for small children, but it does pack plenty of nostalgic charm for young adults and yes, I think the average 13-year-old knows who Pac-Man and Donkey Kong are.
I've been reading positive things about the vfx work and honestly, I put in enough of my own time playing Pac Man Centipede and Donkey Kong that the vfx sound intruiging.
I suppose this is the Adam Sandler swinging hockey sticks and yelling as usual Adam Sandler. Oh well. Sometimes a good summer movie romp is just that. Swinging hockey sticks and yelling.
By vfx fan
No, more like Adam Sandler using his baby talk to woo a woman he has no chemistry with and out-of-place mean-spiritedness.

I must say, though, that Kevin James played one of the more likeable movie presidents.
By TylerMirage
Yeah, Pixels struck me as the kind of movie that'd just be thrashed by the critics, but still give a dumb, fun romp on top of some pretty good VFX work. Just the action alone looks cool, given that it's not the "hyper real"-shaky cam or the "TV sitcom"-style of the Marvel movies.

ShaneP wrote:Oh so the baby talk Adam Sandler showed up? Sounds like he went deep down into his thespian soul for this one. :P

BOOM. Acting.
By PaulILMFan
Mi5 is superb :omg: VFX are pretty seamless/invisible but its a back to basics 007ish from the 1960s Thunderball style spy romp. Not quite as good as MI1 but blows the other 3 movies away due to plot, characters, intrigue, seamless & smooth editing & perfect direction/screenplay :D

Trust me if you only see 1 more movie this year (excluding Star Wars of course) make it this one its simply a good few hours pure escapism :wink:
By vfx fan
Yeah, M:I-5 was pretty good. I was reading the IGN review of it, and they complained the villain wasn't strong or memorable or something like that.

They must've been watching M:I-4. M:I-5 had the most intimidating and creepiest villain to date in the franchise. But M:I-4's villain was so forgettable that I can't remember if it even had a villain...
By Kmart
I've only seen a few minutes of the third one, but the fourth one was on some station or streaming at a point a few years back, and all I can tell you is Cruise winds up in what seems like a virtual carpark at the end fighting somebody who probably could stand up to Jonathan Pryce, but was not the stuff of big movie fights, to be sure.

Except for TAPS and COLOR OF MONEY (in which I assume he is playing something close to himself) and EYES WIDE SHUT and the first M:I, I don't think I've ever liked Cruise in anything, his very presence is enough to make me not want to watch. Even with EYEs, I watch it thinking how much better it would have been with Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson (or Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman), since Kubrick wanted to use a real couple.

Kinda annoyed that the MI5 monicker was coopted for this, when the old SPOOKS/MI5 tv series had a feature film version release a couple months ago (not here yet though.) THAT is the spy movie i wanted to see this year, not any of these others or that nutso KINGSMAN that I just caught.
By ShaneP
Kmart wrote:
Kinda annoyed that the MI5 monicker was coopted for this, when the old SPOOKS/MI5 tv series had a feature film version release a couple months ago (not here yet though.)

:lol: I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. Well, they'll be sullying the name of Mi6 in the next one then.