Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By Kmart
Has anybody figured out a way to justify shelling out $200 bucks for the new Taschen STAR WARS ARCHIVES book? Would love to know if there is anything in there about ILM being shut down briefly at the start of Fall 77 -- an event that goes completely unmentioned in the Rinzler book.

Also would be cool to find out if there are any new photos to unearth. My guess is no, that SW CHRONICLES and the modelshop book by Peterson probably ran that well dry.
There was a time maybe pre-internet where I could see springing that amount for a book of SW archival photos, art, etc. But now there is so much available out there from a variety of sources that I cant justify it. So many prints and art has become available over the last few decades, whether online, dvd, books,etc that yet another archival book just doesn't even raise an eyebrow. It better be damn good or I'm not touching it. I still don't have the Peterson Modelmaking book and that one out of all is perhaps the one I'm most interested in. But there was no way I was spending hundreds of $ for it. I do still buy the Art of books for films. I have the Making of Solo by Ron Bredow on pre-order as I type this. Those Art of and Behind the craft books usually run around $40-$50 though, not hundreds. The Invisible Art by Barron was terrific but that wasn't expensive like some of these high dollar SW ones(SW: Blueprints price was crazy)

Regarding pictures, this isn't 1986 and seeing The Art of ILM book in the comic shop. :eek: That was an event...a big deal where you had to have Cinfex, Cinefantastique or Starlog and maybe the Art of books to have access to pictures and stories about ILM. Now, post internet and numerous Star Wars DVD,Blu-Ray releases, re-releases, re-re-releases....that stuff is nearly everywhere.
But I will still always prefer books over any kind of digital-blog/book,etc. I am a book person. But my finances are limited for them and Star Wars/ILM books have to compete with Antebellum America/Civil War/Reconstruction era books for my $ so....something has to give. And it's usually not the history books. They are cheap by comparison.

As for the inside info regarding ILM shutting down in '78, I doubt that kind of stuff would be alluded to after Rinzler. If it was going to come out, it likely would have come from his Empire book from the Lucas era. I just can't see Lucasfilm/Disney today touching on stuff like that.
By Kmart
The shutdown I'm referencing is fall 77, when SW was still in production. Jon Erland was my first interview for the ILM retrospective article, and he told me everyone was sent home while the project was reevaluated -- this was right after GL had his chest pain visit, apparently -- and in my still-struggling screenplay, it is a major turning point drama- and character-wise, so I'm always expecting to see somebody else talk about it in greater detail. I bet if I'd gotten Jim Nelson, that he would have augmented it.
The shutdown I'm referencing is fall 77, when SW was still in production. Jon Erland was my first interview for the ILM retrospective article, and he told me everyone was sent home while the project was reevaluated -- this was right after GL had his chest pain visit, apparently -- and in my still-struggling screenplay, it is a major turning point drama- and character-wise, so I'm always expecting to see somebody else talk about it in greater detail. I bet if I'd gotten Jim Nelson, that he would have augmented it.
You mean Fall '76. Is that when they brought in the Fox studio guy and Dykstra was supposedly pushed aside? I've read about that a few places. Pollock's Skywalking mentions it. They show up and ILM had spent six months and didn't have one shot completed.
By Kmart
yeah, 76, sorry. The way I've had the script set up, the movie starts with a Fox limo pulling up in late summer to find everybody outside playing (figured I'd throw in the fridge bashing forklift and the slipNslide for the same day), and the suits are like '15 months in and THIS is what we find?' then it flashes back.

I think I've read SKYWALKING, but maybe I should find a copy and look again. The one thing I haven't found is the NATIONAL ENQUIRER story (yeah, I know) that ran even ahead of CFQ's coverage, citing the shutdown. I think it may be the Elvis died issue, but I've never come across it on ebay for less than an absurd amount. Then again, if it were a biz deduction ...

Oh, and Deep Discount has the STAR WARS ARCHIVES book for 130 instead of 200 bucks ... if I was sure I could resell it afterwards, I'd nibble at that price. They even have RETURN TO TOMORROW, the gigantic awesome book about the making of ST-TMP, for 25% off, and I've never seen that discounted before. (my 'collectible' copy (first 100, signed) fell apart, but I have another copy of the general 1000-issue run that is pristine (for now), but I'd recommend that book to anybody with an interest in Trumbull's setup and is fascinated with how movies go badly ... this is like MAKING OF EXORCIST 2 but at seven times the length, and more than half is dedicated to VFX.
Skywalking is where I first read about the forklift fridge incident. It's full of good stuff. I think Lucas later disowned it after he had decided to make the prequels but started denying there was ever plans for a sequel trilogy. His 90s and later claims go against nearly all of the media around the late 70s and early 80s where he said there were plans for one. In fact, at one time, he said there were plans for four trilogies, not just three. But Pollock took his information from extensive interviews with Lucas and close associates and his sources in the back of the book are right from the horse's mouth so to speak.
Last edited by ShaneP on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, sounds like this guy was on the right track. Anybody who remembers that there were 12 projected movies has the right original data.
I think I first read that back in Starlog a long time ago from a Lucas interview in fact. Maybe one of the TESB issues?

It was funny because after all of his denials from the prequel era about plans for sequel trilogy, well, what'dyya know....he showed his old sequel outlines to JJ and Kathleen Kennedy when they started to embark on making it.
By Kmart
Happy new year folks! There's a FIRST MAN vfx reel that looks pretty nice out there, and for those old enough to care about such things, there's also an Apogee STAR TREK I vfx reel that includes longer versions of shots and cut shots. The klingon ships look green in some views here, more like the images in the CINEFEX #2, at last as I recall it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoDxunCN9NI
Happy new year folks! There's a FIRST MAN vfx reel that looks pretty nice out there, and for those old enough to care about such things, there's also an Apogee STAR TREK I vfx reel that includes longer versions of shots and cut shots. The klingon ships look green in some views here, more like the images in the CINEFEX #2, at last as I recall it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoDxunCN9NI
Happy new year & thanks for the STMP demo reel that stuff is as Spock would say fascinating! Imagine how good those ships would look in a decent 4K UHD release. I hope Paramount finally get around to doing something for the 40th anniversary this year. They did some really good DNR free 4K UHD release's of some of their catalog titles last year (Grease, Mission Impossible, Jack Ryan franchise) so hopefully Tos Movie Trek is next...and soon!
By Kmart
I was saying on trekmovie that this proves the Dochterman/SharpLine claim about Paramount having all the original elements and that they saw them and there was nothing new that could be used is a bunch of bull, so it is almost certain that the original vfx elements were tossed by Trumbull and Dykstra during the 80s (something that has also been discussed a few times) since Paramount didn't want them.

So there's no way to do a BLADE RUNNER style recomp for 4K, not that I think Paramount is going to do anything for the 40th anyway. Unless they have a film to release as a tie-in, they don't seem to go back to the library, except to slap a new label on an old product.
I was saying on trekmovie that this proves the Dochterman/SharpLine claim about Paramount having all the original elements and that they saw them and there was nothing new that could be used is a bunch of bull, so it is almost certain that the original vfx elements were tossed by Trumbull and Dykstra during the 80s (something that has also been discussed a few times) since Paramount didn't want them.

So there's no way to do a BLADE RUNNER style recomp for 4K, not that I think Paramount is going to do anything for the 40th anyway. Unless they have a film to release as a tie-in, they don't seem to go back to the library, except to slap a new label on an old product.
Maybe Paramount is not even aware of this material they never seemed to know what they do or do not have as no-one is still there who worked on the franchise back then! They should go back to ILM & get those cut from release ST3+6 finished VFX sequences out of the ILM vaults as documented in CFQ way back then. As for STMP its such a mess & clearly Dochterman/SharpLine would not have got as much VFX work to do if Paramount were aware they had plenty of stuff already in their archives...….

Paramount did a really great job on the 4K UHD's for Grease, Mission Impossible & Jack Ryan franchises they have minimal DNR & look like film so I hope now they have new management TOS Trek is next as its one of their last remaining major catalog franchise titles not yet on 4K UHD (Apart from Indiana Jones which Paramount still own the rights to the first 4 movies on home video).

Star Trek 2 & 6 were both already supervised for 4K UHD by Nick Meyer back in 2016 so just need pressing to disc as they are waiting ready to go so they only need to revisit 1,3,4,5. 1 & 3 would look the best. 4 needs a restoration I think due to poor quality elements & not knowing where the masters are hence the poor Bluray release from an older master. 5 is never going to get the new VFX it needs now but all 6 movies would still look good just being transferred the same way they did their other recent 4K catalog releases. Clearly Paramount have a new company overseeing the transfers they are not the same old low quality as before.

They must redo for 4K eventually so its a matter of when maybe the STMP 40th is the right time to do this :thumbup:
So there is this film coming out called The Man Who Killed Hitler and The Bigfoot. :lol:

It stars Sam Elliot as this WW2 vet who is hired by the U.S. government to track and kill Sasquatch.

Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkP4bZKCHE8

Now, besides it's great cast, including Ron Livingston and comedian Larry Miller(?!), it also features vfx supervised by Doug Trumbull.... 8) ILM alums Mark Sullivan and Rocco Gioffre, along with matte veteran Richard Yuricich are a part of his team. Spectral Motion also is doing what I assume is some squatch work.

What an fx team!

Livingston is credited in the film as "Flag Pin"..... :lol: Watch the trailer and you will see why.
Just saw the trailer .... this thing looks pretty interesting. But that title may backfire, as folks may expect SNAKES ON A PLANE.
The title goes completely against what the trailer suggests the tone of the film is. I expected light B movie but the trailer suggests they are playing it straight. I'm also just intrigued that Trumbull and Yuricich, Gioffre, Sullivan are working on it too. Spectral Motion's involvement suggests some kind of squatching fx.