Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Trying not to get to excited, but damn would love to see ILM take on the hulk. Come on Ben Snow, do this show so I can down tequila's with Mal.

ILM have a youtube page now aswell as their other media presence. They seem to be in a new wave of heightened production and promotion after being relatively quite last couple of years.
Trying not to get to excited, but damn would love to see ILM take on the hulk. Come on Ben Snow, do this show so I can down tequila's with Mal.

ILM have a youtube page now aswell as their other media presence. They seem to be in a new wave of heightened production and promotion after being relatively quite last couple of years.
Care to hook me up with their official Youtube page? :) (I searched for it, couldn't find it. But I'm stupid, so...) Yeah, you have no idea how happy I was to find out that ILM had updated their official site and that even here, at ILMfan, you guys had done some updating. So pleased.

If ILM can work their magic on the Hulk and his design in Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk, I'll be a joyous fan. :D
I think Encore co-produced or at least had the exclusive right to the ILM documentary in North America. They suggested writing to them to have them license it outside North America.

In North America if you don't have Encore, you're SOL. I did record it to DVD during the initial broadcast. Maybe they'll put it in their YouTube channel eventually.

About Super 8, the new TV spots are looking really good.
Will have to hold the excitement of a ILM hulk for the moment because it looks like Weta are on the Avengers also. They have a brainwashing algorythm in their software that convinces most people that the work they are seeing is the best thing ever seen, so must be given all character work because no-one else can do it like them. It's the only reason possible to explain the fact that even when they do crappy work, Rise of the Apes, looking at you... people still say how "awesome" it is.

Ooh, Weta bashing, how very original. So sue me. Not in a reasonable mood today.
Will have to hold the excitement of a ILM hulk for the moment because it looks like Weta are on the Avengers also. They have a brainwashing algorythm in their software that convinces most people that the work they are seeing is the best thing ever seen, so must be given all character work because no-one else can do it like them. It's the only reason possible to explain the fact that even when they do crappy work, Rise of the Apes, looking at you... people still say how "awesome" it is.

Ooh, Weta bashing, how very original. So sue me. Not in a reasonable mood today.
:lol: ILM and Weta? That's pretty cool news. Where'd you find it? And yeah, with that news, there's a good chance that Weta will be taking a crack at the Hulk. Granted, makes logical sense given their extensive resume of human-like CG characters (regardless of quality). I'd love to see a Weta Hulk. :D Although, for all we know, they may not be working on the Hulk, and could be working on possible Asgardian environments or digital doubles and whatnot.

And to be fair, for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, some of their work may look sub-par and unfinished in the trailers, but some of it also looks really, really good. Wait, no...the brainwashing...*strains*...must...not let it...control me!! ;)

But still, very interesting news nonetheless.
I just figured they would be involved with the film seeing as they're involved with some Marvel Universe properties already.

Frankly, I'm still waiting to hear DD will be involved in some way. I would love it. All star team of superheroes created by an all star team of fx houses.
Last edited by ShaneP on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they really wanted to have the big dogs, then SPI and R&H would join the project as well. Now that would be massive. (But I doubt that'll happen)

Ever since I heard they were going to be making an Avengers film, my dream was that ILM, Weta, DD and R&H would all be involved together. Super teams for a super team. ;) DD seems like it would be a good choice, but SPI (for obvious Sony-related reasons) and R&H (now that their Hulk is getting a makeover) seem like they've got other projects to tend to. It'll be so awesome to hear how the companies will be splitting up the work. :D

With less than a year until it comes out, the stream of Avengers-related news should be picking up...hopefully.
IMDB have listed several Weta staff on the Avengers.
Never been one for the multi effects house approach to movies, love the old days when a film was ILM or Dreamquest. Dreamquest being the Weta of its day in my opinion, disliked them for taking ILM work lol!!
IMDB have listed several Weta staff on the Avengers.
Never been one for the multi effects house approach to movies, love the old days when a film was ILM or Dreamquest. Dreamquest being the Weta of its day in my opinion, disliked them for taking ILM work lol!!
Yeah, Dreamquest really shoved ILM's work out of the limelight on Mighty Joe Young! ;)

Well, IMDB isn't always the most trustworthy, but hey, I love the news, and don't necessarily not believe it.

I too used to enjoy the ability to be able to label a film as belonging to a single company, but (when it comes to big-scale VFX flicks) I fear those days are done. The time has come where filmmakers realize (for time and budgetary reasons), having multiple companies all play to their strengths and divide up the work is better than dumping ALL of the work on a single company. Which makes sense, if [company X] is good at doing [type of VFX], then have [company Y] work on [other kind of VFX].

I find that there are certain films or companies that can mesh well when it comes to multiple vendors. In my opinion, ILM and DD's work fits together so seamlessly, that a collaboration between them is only for the better (a la Transformers 1, 2, and 3, Pirates 3). Meanwhile other films (such as the first few Harry Potter movies, the two Fantastic Four movies, G.I. Joe), the distinction between the companies and their work is more noticeable. Weta and ILM together should be fine (their work was seamless on Avatar).
I'm torn on the issue of splitting up work between vendors. I do miss the days when one company did the work but realise that's not really practical on most shows. I also like big projects with multiple vendors, and Avengers seems like a great showcase for this, having several excellent houses doing different stuff. It's just that I really wanted ILM on the Hulk, and this approach means interesting work going elsewhere. Of course it's still interesting work, but it's not MY team anymore dammit !!! Fight, fight, fight....

Lone Ranger with Gore Verbinski is confirmed for December 2012. Potential ILM show?