Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

I used to have the Trek 5 Cinefex but lost it years ago. Really pissed about it, would love to read that article again. I've tried looking around the net for articles on the vfx production problems with both Trek 5 and the motion picture but can't find anything. Anyone know why the work on the first film was moved from Abel to Trumbull ?

Supes, my guess...

MI4 - Knoll
Avengers - Snow

What do we win if correct?
It is great news that ILM are doing MI 4 and the Avengers, but would really like to see them do some creature work again in a live action feature, I haven't seen their work on I am number 4 which i believe they did the alien but would love to see them take the game to Weta and show their wares again ala Davy Jones. If they do the Hulk in the Avengers it will be amazing news as well as Iron Man of course. ILM I believe are the best from a laymans point of view for hard surface rendering, vehicles, robots etc but do feel they are equally as good with other well known effects companies at doing living creatures.

Jon
It is great news that ILM are doing MI 4 and the Avengers, but would really like to see them do some creature work again in a live action feature, I haven't seen their work on I am number 4 which i believe they did the alien but would love to see them take the game to Weta and show their wares again ala Davy Jones. If they do the Hulk in the Avengers it will be amazing news as well as Iron Man of course. ILM I believe are the best from a laymans point of view for hard surface rendering, vehicles, robots etc but do feel they are equally as good with other well known effects companies at doing living creatures.

Jon
I agree. They just don't seem to do much organic creature work these days, especially with Weta and Tippett really pumping out some cool creature work. The big creature-work that comes to mind from recent projects are Pirates 2, Eragon, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Star Trek and The Last Airbender. (Note, I REALLY want to see what ILM's Jurassic Park dinosaurs would look like in 2011 technology. It's been over a decade since I've seen some ILM-dino-action.) Hopefully we'll get to see some creature work in the future, or maybe even another ILM Hulk for The Avengers. One can always dream... :)
Maybe Todd Vaziri should supe MI4 ? It's time.

ILM are doing organic creatures again this year with Pirates4 Super 8 and Cowboys and Aliens. Also Battleship next year has full cg alien characters in the Davy jones mould.
My guess for MI4: Philippe Rebours
Who?!? He sounds like he works for BUF. :-?
Nah he's an ILM vet. I suppose we could go with an obvious choice for MI4 and say Guyett. He does have a history on Abram's movies(yes I know this is just being produced by him but still).
Wowzers! The man returns to the franchise he helped jump start. Yeehaw! The man adds a project to his repertoire that doesn't include(at least I hope) spaceships, bad NASCAR acid trips, or blue aliens. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with this type of film again.
John Knoll is great news I really love this guys work as a supervisor more than anyone else at ILM he's also supervising the Star Wars 3D Movie Release's I think as well!

As for Star Trek5 Cinefex I used to have that but sold my entire collection (almost every issue from 1980-2001!!!!) about 10 years ago to a collector as no longer read them & did not have the space anymore to store. I can remember though it did not really touch on any of the politics or problems at all it was obviously edited by the Cinefex publishers to gloss over those aspects.

Kmart could & should write an extensive article about this as he probably knows more than most the backstory!!
I've still got the TFF issue (of course I do, it also has TREMORS and RED OCTOBER in it!), but it only touches on things from Ferren's perspective, and that is clearly not the whole picture (and the 'making of' on TFF is also clearly not the whole picture ... the original writer was taken off the project and it wound up being put together by Shatner's daughter.)

I talked a bit about it with Ralph Winter this week, and he thought there might have been some condescension on the part of the 'back east' folks with respect to doing this kind of work ... which is pretty odd, considering (as I do) that they could have ducked some probs up front just by reading CINEFEX 1 & 2. Winter did say that Ferren had a great printer setup, but EVERYthing had to go through that one system, and given the tiny post time, that just wasn't going to work in an ideal fashion.

As for the earlier question about TMP ... there's just way too much go to into, but if you search on this board under Trumbull and Abel, you can find lots of my earlier posts on it, even mentions of a guy I talked with who worked for both companies on TMP (who has been out of the biz since after RED OCT) ... Abel's group had lots of problems, but it also had Con Pederson doing what might have been a really striking bridge probe and some amazing concept art.

I'd say there is a book that Paramount will never authorize in the covering of TMP and TFF, and it would probably be as good as a book about SUPERNOVA and RED PLANET, which have got pretty amazing horror stories behind the scenes. Of course, nobody gives two hoots about those latter pics, but if you don't learn the lessons, you're bound to repeat them.
Which is exactly why studios have continued to repeat them. Once the old regime leaves with all their wisdom, a new one rolls in and repeats the same mistakes.

I suppose that's what happens when you kick out the old moguls and replace them with young hot shots. It's like the cycle starts over.

I would love to see a real-true Trek 5 film/special edition/whatever. They had some great ideas for the ending that were abandoned cuz of money limitations and "rock" suits not working out.
What do we win if correct?
You get my eternal gratitude of course. What?! ... isn't that enough? I'll buy a shot of tequila if we ever meet, how about that punk!

Kidding. Although I'm thinking of special incentives for special help with this site.
I would love to see a real-true Trek 5 film/special edition/whatever. They had some great ideas for the ending that were abandoned cuz of money limitations and "rock" suits not working out.
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened when Paramount wants to squeeze more money like they did revamping the VFX of the original series.
Hey aslan correctly called it.

You win an all expenses paid trip to Mexico where you get to meet the Yoda of ILMfan, Manuel himself, and a trip to a nightclub. There you will enjoy the taste of tequila, the music, and the adventure of body shots off the tummies of scantily-clad dancers.