Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Welcome to the boards Tyler, think I recognize you from Todd Vaziri's blog site?

There are around 7 or 8 other companies on Captain America besides Dneg. Can't recall them all but Framestore, Cinesite, Fuel, Senate and Matte world digital are all involved.

If you go to ILM's twitter account there's a link to some articles about their renderfarm, in which there seems to be confirmation of their involvement with Avengers. I would love for them to get another crack at Hulk, really put down the definitive version.
Yep. The one-and-the-same annoying "TylerMirage". ;)

Wow. 7-8 companies? Well, I was honestly expecting a great amount of VFX work/companies to be involved, hence my confusion at not hearing much involvement beyond DNeg. But this seems much more accurate. So mostly overseas companies. Nice to see some good work for them, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us. :D I'm guessing there will be a rather large VFX shot count for Captain America, possibly even upwards of 900-1000 shots.

What I'd really like to see (regarding ILM and the Hulk) is for them to have a whack at creating their typical, amazing, photorealistic work with the design of R&H (darker, "grittier", more monstrous, etc..). As I said before, VFX-wise, ILM's surpassed R&H's, in my opinion, but R&H (or I guess Aaron Sims and his co.) beat the design/overall aesthetic aspect of the 2003 film's version (not a fan of bouncing bullets off of rubbery fat, "inflating transformations", limited roaring and shouting, or bright green skin), even though some of that stuff isn't necessarily a "visual effects"-issue. Or hey, I'm sure whatever company they choose to create the Hulk will do just fine. :) Weta would be a fantastic choice, obviously, but they're most likely booked up for the next little while. Hmmm... what about Tippett? Might be logical.
No.

As far as the Hulk movies, I liked the Ang Lee version better, I found Letterier's version too mundane but I did like R+H version as well. I didn't mind the bullet bouncing on Lee's Hulk bad I think it made more sense.
Not [i]necessarily [/i]relating to ILM's next, but since I didn't want to start a whole new topic ...

ICG is doing something different, an all-interviews issue for July, and I'm getting the VFX end of things, which is supposed to be 3-6 interviews with FX movers/shakers. Not necessarily just VFX supes, but filmmakers who know how to use VFX are also good bets.

We're thinking Joe Johnston would be good (and tie in with CaptAmerica coming out), plus he is one of the only guys on the original SW that I haven't ever interviewed. I am really really hoping to get a shot at talking with Trumbull (my piece on TREE OF LIFE fell out at HD Video Pro, so I'm hoping to leverage the TREE PR contact into [i]some[/i] assignment, either here or for the newly-revived STARBURST.) Another guy I was thinking of was Christopher Nolan, because of the lifetime achievement fx thing and just because he seems to be coming at things counter to the standard in a lot of ways, but I went through Hell last year to get just 15minutes with him (it was absolutely worth it, but I imagine he's pretty busy right now.) The mag has tried for Cameron a few times, but I don't think they've had any luck with that one.

Anyway, if you guys want to throw out a few of your own ideas, either here or via PM, I'll take 'em under consideration when talking with the editor this week.

Thanks,

Kevin
ILM's site updated projects in production to include MI4 and Avengers.

Kmart, regarding ideas for interviews how about the guy who directed Monsters? Can't recall his name of the top of my head but he was a vfx artist and seems to be an upcoming star. The film is really rather good and worth a watch.

Kmart, regarding ideas for interviews how about the guy who directed Monsters? Can't recall his name of the top of my head but he was a vfx artist and seems to be an upcoming star. The film is really rather good and worth a watch.
YAY for official confirmation! :D

Wait a second, who's directing MI4? ILM's site states that it's Abrams, but everything else I've seen says that Brad Bird is sitting in the director's chair. I mean, Abrams is one of the writers, so maybe it's just a simple mistake. I hope that ILM also gets to work on the Star Trek sequel. Amazing movie with amazing VFX work that deserves an amazing sequel.

Monsters director: Gareth Edwards. He's also slated to be the director of the upcoming Godzilla reboot. I am tres excited for that, both because I'm a Godzilla fan, but also for the visual effects work. (To be noted, I actually liked Emmerich's film.)
[quote="aslan"]ILM's site updated projects in production to include MI4 and Avengers.

Kmart, regarding ideas for interviews how about the guy who directed Monsters? Can't recall his name of the top of my head but he was a vfx artist and seems to be an upcoming star. The film is really rather good and worth a watch.[/quote]

As of yesterday, our list is Joe Johnston, Doug Trumbull, John Dykstra, Ralph Winter (wanted producers represented as well) and Richard Edlund, with Hoyt Yeatman as first alternate. Have no idea how many of those we can actually get, or if we'll need to pick some replacements, but the Monsters guy would be a very good bet, you're right (didn't know he was doing GODZILLA, thanks.)
Go to ILM.com and the In production section. Scroll over. Right next to MI4.
Do you guys check the site daily? I just checked Friday for some research but didn't see anything.

Well MI4 was a matter of time, a bit surprised by the Avengers though not totally unexpected. I think Trek 12 might be announced after Abrams finished Super 8.
As of yesterday, our list is Joe Johnston, Doug Trumbull, John Dykstra, Ralph Winter (wanted producers represented as well) and Richard Edlund, with Hoyt Yeatman as first alternate. Have no idea how many of those we can actually get, or if we'll need to pick some replacements, but the Monsters guy would be a very good bet, you're right (didn't know he was doing GODZILLA, thanks.)
Looks cool lineup. I still have to see Gareth Edwards' Monsters, it looked the most promising of the alien invasion movies. How about Duncan Jones. As far as producers there's also Jon Landau although probably a long shot. Directors there's Martin Campbell, Tarsem, Alfonso Cuarón and David Fincher as well. Anyway so many ideas.
Do you guys check the site daily? I just checked Friday for some research but didn't see anything.

Well MI4 was a matter of time, a bit surprised by the Avengers though not totally unexpected. I think Trek 12 might be announced after Abrams finished Super 8.
If you use Firefox, you won't see anything new. I had to use IE. And yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned "Trek 12." Another probability.

And ILM still might be on "Cloud Atlas." They've announced the casting of Tom Hanks, so only time will tell before we hear something else...

Do you think you could slip in some Star Trek5 questions to Ralph Winter on what happened with the VFX!!
If you use Firefox, you won't see anything new. I had to use IE. And yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned "Trek 12." Another probability.
And ILM still might be on "Cloud Atlas." They've announced the casting of Tom Hanks, so only time will tell before we hear something else...
I use Firefox and I can see the new projects. It's probably your Flash version, the ILM site uses it heavily.
[quote="PaulILMFan"][quote="Kmart"][quote="aslan"]ILM's site updated projects in production to include MI4 and Avengers.

Kmart, regarding ideas for interviews how about the guy who directed Monsters? Can't recall his name of the top of my head but he was a vfx artist and seems to be an upcoming star. The film is really rather good and worth a watch.[/quote]

As of yesterday, our list is Joe Johnston, Doug Trumbull, John Dykstra, Ralph Winter (wanted producers represented as well) and Richard Edlund, with Hoyt Yeatman as first alternate. Have no idea how many of those we can actually get, or if we'll need to pick some replacements, but the Monsters guy would be a very good bet, you're right (didn't know he was doing GODZILLA, thanks.)[/quote] Do you think you could slip in some Star Trek5 questions to Ralph Winter on what happened with the VFX!![/quote]

I'll sure try. It really sounds like they mismanaged every possible way. I remember asking Mike Wood, the physical fx guy on 5, about it, on the first article I ever wrote, on Spielberg's ALWAYS. And he said he was just horrified by how everything was lowballed and that it seemed like Shatner had no support from above whatsoever, though the DP and some of the crew were killing themselves for him.
Speaking of project today (Thursday) there's going to be a new trailer from Cowboys and Aliens during American Idol. Also ILM will announce VFX Supes for MI4 and Avengers this week. Someone want to try to guess?