Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By bigj1968
http://uk.media.movies.ign.com/media/85 ... mgs_1.html

could those zombies be the ILM creations for this movie? I imagine making them photoreal could be a very challenging task and requiring a huge vfx budget.

Pretty sure the zombies are makeup, possibly with cgi enhancements but believe the mermaids might be an ILM creation as they go from fish tails to legs in the movie

Jon
By ShaneP
That's some cool stuff. The art appears to be by Miles Teves, who has worked on many movies over the years. I would suspect those zombies could be CG or makeup or a combo of both.
By Kmart
[quote="ShaneP"][quote="Kmart"]didn't know that - bioshock not happening is nearly as weird to me as HALO getting cancelled.

Not really ILM-related, but has anybody heard exactly what Trumbull is doing on TREE OF LIFE? [b]The trailer has some very BRAINSTORM like shots in it [/b](stuff like the sunlight through cheese grater.[/quote]

I noticed that too. Ive read he was a consultant. I heard he was right in the thick of it. But I haven't heard anything solid. That's not surprising though since Malick's films always seem to fly under the radar.[/quote]

Day that will live in infamy ... I got switched from TREE OF LIFE by editor to TRANSFORMERS 3. I'm going to have to try to find another market for a TREE story, just to have an excuse to do the Trumbull interview.
By ShaneP
didn't know that - bioshock not happening is nearly as weird to me as HALO getting cancelled.

Not really ILM-related, but has anybody heard exactly what Trumbull is doing on TREE OF LIFE? The trailer has some very BRAINSTORM like shots in it (stuff like the sunlight through cheese grater.
I noticed that too. Ive read he was a consultant. I heard he was right in the thick of it. But I haven't heard anything solid. That's not surprising though since Malick's films always seem to fly under the radar.
Day that will live in infamy ... I got switched from TREE OF LIFE by editor to TRANSFORMERS 3. I'm going to have to try to find another market for a TREE story, just to have an excuse to do the Trumbull interview.
You're doing a piece on Tranny 3? Kewl!

Okay...yeah it does suck you're not doing the Tree of Life piece. But hey Transformers 3 will have great visuals plus Baysplosions!
By Kmart
Shoot, I haven't even seen the second one yet!

It might not be a done deal anyway ... I don't think I've interviewed anybody at ILM since the first PIRATES movie, and if they still don't want me talking to them (which was the case at the time of TheAbramsThing's STAR TREK two years ago), I don't know if I'd still get to write the piece, because that would mean just doing cinematography and non-ILM vfx.
By ShaneP
Shoot, I haven't even seen the second one yet!

It might not be a done deal anyway ... I don't think I've interviewed anybody at ILM since the first PIRATES movie, and if they still don't want me talking to them (which was the case at the time of TheAbramsThing's STAR TREK two years ago), I don't know if I'd still get to write the piece, because that would mean just doing cinematography and non-ILM vfx.
Well one would think the cinematography and vfx in Trans 3 would go hand in hand. Writing a piece about the cinematography but not anything fx related is only getting a portion of the visual story of one of those type of films.
It will be really interesting to see Bird work with the ILM folks. Can't wait to see what they come up with. Abram's MI had some great "invisible" fx in it and I hope they aim for similar type stuff for this one.
Yeah ILM are on MI4, looking forward to it. They are also on Avengers.

The source is my head and I have confirmed it with myself.

Seriously though, the ILM twitter site gives rather obvious clues as to shows they are on.
I think it would be cool if for The Avengers they had each fx house work on whatever character they worked on for the individual shows: ILM for Iron Man R+H for Hulk, etc.

Or hell just give it all to ILM! :lol:
I think it would be cool if for The Avengers they had each fx house work on whatever character they worked on for the individual shows: ILM for Iron Man R+H for Hulk, etc.

sorry to say that i found hulk 2008 rather disappointing. honestly, one of the worst cg carachter ever for a big budget movie. so yes, just give all to ILM :)

I was thinking the same thing too. Would ILM simply work on the Iron Man-related scenes, R&H on Hulk, etc.? Depending on the requirements of sequences and characters, there's the possibility for a lot of overlap, and coordination between companies. I'm no professional, but it might almost be easier just to give the majority of major character work to a single company (as to allow for easier interactions between, say, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor's lightning, Captain America's digital double, etc.), and farm smaller, separate shots and sequences out to other companies. I've wondered about the possibility of ILM taking over the Hulk from R&H. Makes for some nice dreams. ;) Either way, I don't think it's out of the question to assume that ILM is involved in The Avengers to some extent. Most likely a big VFX project, so why not have a big VFX house? I can also see them opting to use some overseas companies like MPC, DNeg, etc..

On the topic of MI4, this is a project that I can see having not so many "big, in-your-face" VFX sequences, but mostly consisting of the "invisible" work, such as wire removal, matte paintings, digital enhancements, etc..

*By the way, I'm new here. Long time watcher, first time poster, big VFX fan,. Please forgive my ignorance to ILMfan's cultural norms and whatnot. :)
I was waiting for someone to chime in and tell me how crap R+H's The Hulk was. I wait no more!

Captain America looks pretty good too. Hopefully they can have all the major characters established by the time the The Avengers is out.
I was waiting for someone to chime in and tell me how crap R+H's The Hulk was. I wait no more!

Captain America looks pretty good too. Hopefully they can have all the major characters established by the time the The Avengers is out.
I have to agree. R&H's Hulk was inferior to ILM's, and Louis Letterier's movie was inferior to Ang Lee's movie. I suppose you can say that Ang Lee's movie took a bit too many risks, leaving it a little too pretentious, while Letterier's didn't take enough, leaving it rather bland.

I thought R&H's Hulk was little more than a generic CG monster. ILM's was much more realistic, at least at the time, and save for the bouncing-thousands-of-feet-in-the-air segment.

I have to agree. R&H's Hulk was inferior to ILM's, and Louis Letterier's movie was inferior to Ang Lee's movie. I suppose you can say that Ang Lee's movie took a bit too many risks, leaving it a little too pretentious, while Letterier's didn't take enough, leaving it rather bland.

I thought R&H's Hulk was little more than a generic CG monster. ILM's was much more realistic, at least at the time, and save for the bouncing-thousands-of-feet-in-the-air segment.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :) I found Letterier's film to be far better than Lee's. But as for the Hulk himself, when it comes to photorealism, yes, I found ILM's Hulk to be superior. The animation quality and photorealism was superb, and just had more "presence" than R&H's. However, with that being said, I'm NOT dissing R&H's work. I've got to admit though that from the design POV, Aaron Sims/R&H/Letterier's Hulk was better. In my opinion. :)

And on the topic of Captain America, does anyone know if there's any other company on board other than Double Negative? I was expecting a few more to be attached to it.

*EDIT: Now my comments have shown up. :)
Last edited by TylerMirage on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the boards Tyler, think I recognize you from Todd Vaziri's blog site?

There are around 7 or 8 other companies on Captain America besides Dneg. Can't recall them all but Framestore, Cinesite, Fuel, Senate and Matte world digital are all involved.

If you go to ILM's twitter account there's a link to some articles about their renderfarm, in which there seems to be confirmation of their involvement with Avengers. I would love for them to get another crack at Hulk, really put down the definitive version.