Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

It seems ILM is involved in...Cats? Were they one of the vendors since the beginning or hired in the last weeks because the production is in troubles?
I don't know if they were involved from the beginning but they have been involved for many many months. What are they doing on it? I dont know. This is one of those films where the first impressions were disasterous based on that first trailer. It reminds me of that first teaser for Ang Lee's Hulk that premiered during the Super Bowl where everyone complained about the green color of the Hulk. That bad impression stuck on the film.
Teaser for upcoming season 2 of Amazon show The Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYnSEW4sXrk
I watched the first few episodes of The Boys. Is ILM involved? I love the show's premise and it has some really solid action and FX work for being a television series. The first episode gag of Not-Wonder Woman smashing through the armored bank truck was top-notch.
Teaser for upcoming season 2 of Amazon show The Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYnSEW4sXrk
I watched the first few episodes of The Boys. Is ILM involved? I love the show's premise and it has some really solid action and FX work for being a television series. The first episode gag of Not-Wonder Woman smashing through the armored bank truck was top-notch.
Wait till you get to the dolphin a few episodes along.
At The Rise of Skywalker premiere...and of course a woman with a Marge Simpson haircut had to sit in front of me...I'll do my best to watch the movie...
Saw it 3 days ago in London. IMO its a terrible souless nonsensical movie :oops: Do not bother trying to understand it as it defies both logic & belief :(

Ian Mcdiarmid & some of the fantastical VFX around the location he is situated in are the ONLY things which save the movie from being an utter meltdown. Its just a collection of disjointed little pieces of action which make little sense. Editing is so fast it makes a Michael Bay movie look slowly paced!

I am truly glad they are stopping for now as its an embarrassment how low the franchise has sunk just so Disney can try to recover some of their $4.05billion they paid Lucas! No wonder he did not attend the premiere I cannot imagine he is happy as this movie does probably more damage than TLJ did to the legacy characters.

How hard can it be to hire decent screenwriters & make something remotely watchable which is not populated with mediocre actors who can barely say their lines on camera :eek2:

Most of the VFX were just ok but also a lot of it was pretty much everything you ever saw before.

Spoilers below highlight to read if you really want to!

I will say that Exogol (where the Emperor is located for the entire movie as he is stuck to some life support machine) looked fantastic the massive ocean waves crashing against the death star ruins especially were incredible like the gigantic ones in Interstellar. Shame the onscreen drama did not match the stunning backdrop.

The way the movie is resolved as well is just so mind numbingly dumb that Rey can strike the Emperor down so easily when he can control a massive fleet of 100s of Star Destroyers packing their own Death Star is really weak :oops: She just reflects his own force lightning back at him and that's it he melts in about 10 seconds!

The entire movie is more or less little parts of ROTJ retconned into the story with Rey cut n pasted into the Luke role from ROTJ!

Han Solo appeared because he is Harrison Ford with a bad wig on!
Luke Skywalker has a REALLY bad wig on & seems very out of place now!
Billy Dee Williams was so utterly wasted & had so little screen time you will have trouble even seeing him!
The last shot of the movie is Rey & BB8 looking into the twin suns! So unoriginal with all the resource at their disposal this is the best they can come up with!
Does anyone remember an announcement about ILM working on a film by, I think,the director of mudbound? It was some crazy title like the vagabonds fantasy, or some such shit. I remember thinking at the time, there's a film that will never happen. I'm assuming it's gone the way of the dodo?
The Kyd's Exquisite Follies. It's a musical. Announced this past Summer. Still in development as far as I know. But Rees still has a film coming out before that.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dee-rees-s ... 202633613/

With the recent performance of CATS, it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I loved Mudbound. Great film. But....Follies is a musical and it sounds expensive. Hopefully her next film does well then Follies might happen. But CATS might kill off plans for musicals for the foreseeable future.