Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

I think the Genie looks quite good. Is he completely CGI or just his body? Social media is whining about it enough, which would suggest he is all CG, but the same basement dwellers bitched about CGI that turned out to be practical.
My guess is that it's more-or-less Will Smith's real face composited onto a digital body. Maybe it's a digital scan of Will's face at most? I could be totally wrong. Honestly, the methods are blending so much that you can't even confidently say "THAT is practical and THIS is digital" these days. Unless you're an armchair expert on the internet who's watched some movies - then you have the knowledge and expertise to judge.

But yeah, I get a good chuckle out of all of the people who suddenly feel like their childhood is ruined or that Robin Williams is being disrespected. :roll: The memes are flooding forth and, as usual, people are complaining about the CGI (I even saw one that grouped together Will Smith Genie, Justice League's awful moustache removal on Superman, the digital Dwayne Johnson from The Scorpion King and the 2003 Hulk as "The Four Horsemen of the CGIpocalypse").

Whether or not this movie will be good or look good remains to be seen, but the overreactions about remaking a classic are eye-rolling.
But then again, i don't know wich tech they are using: building in 3d the younger version of the actors a la Arnold in the last Terminator movie, or Tarkin in Rogue One, or the more common de-aging technology used in the last Marvel Movies? I only hope the final result won't be like Will Smith in Aladdin:))
I'm not certain which route they are taking for The Irishman. I would suspect they are going the full CG character route ala Rogue One and all their other films. To my knowledge, they have yet to do a de-aging technique with live action footage of actors ala LOLA for the Marvel films. ILM seems to enjoy the challenge of a full 3D effect rather than a 2D like LOLA uses.

We will have to wait and see.
Marvel: Gaze upon the dramatic despair and gripping anguish as Tony drifts aimlessly through space, with no suit, dwindling supplies and no hope for rescue. What fates belies our beloved hero?

Also Marvel: JK, he got some new digs and is back in the base with the gang. It's all good.

The only thing that piqued my interest was seeing the new War Machine armor. So thicc that he's gotta' walk through doors sideways. :lol:
Tony Stark is prominently featured on the poster...it can't be that bad for him.
Top-billed, face front-and-centre on the poster, so why bother acting like something serious might legitimately happen to him by being lost in space? :lol:

If Marvel actually has the cajones to do something relevant fate-wise with Tony, I will applaud from the top of the highest mountain. But as it stands? Empty threats for his fate.
CAPTAIN MARVEL was probably one of the weakest MCU movies, and the weakest first part. I thought IRON MAN 2, THOR: THE DARK WORLD, and THE INCREDIBLE HULK were weaker, but man, this one was bland and kind of manipulative, but not because of any blatant feminism, rather because of a seriously gimmicky '90s setting. I did not buy that this was taking place in the '90s, rather I thought it was just a modern movie peppering in '90s references to exploit nostalgia.

I enjoyed that it had a simpler plot reminiscent of superhero movies of the early 2000s, and I really enjoyed Ben Mendelsohn's character and the way the film played with your expectations about him. Mendelsohn, in fact, delivers a layered performance and proves his versatility, but everything else was so forgettable.

Brie Larson was a very bland lead, and I thought it could've improved with someone like Rhonda Rousey filling her shoes. Rousey seems the type who could inject one-liners like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and if this movie was trying to recapture '90s nostalgia, then action movie one-liners are a must.

Not sure what ILM did on this one, but they were listed first in the credits and seemed to have the largest crew. Maybe Framestore had an equal-sized crew. But one thing for certain, Marvel dropped the ball with this one...and DC is starting to pick up more points. I'm actually really looking forward to SHAZAM.