Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

That other thread was a great place back in the day. But now it's time for a new paint job. Time to renew.

So this is the place to discuss potential future projects or just throw out some random bit of things you like about films ILM currently has in release.

So let's start with imdb's listing of Cloud Atlas.

vfxfan and ninja turtle mentioned this earlier in the old ILM Next thread.

This film is being produced by the Wachowski Bros. ILM has worked with them before on Speed Racer so it's possible.
Last edited by ShaneP on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 113 times in total.
By vfx fan
The Wachowskis seem to click with Kim Libreri, who is at ILM, so yeah, I think that "Cloud Atlas" is possible.

And Steven Spielberg has clicked with ILM since 1981, so calling them onto "Tintin" makes sense.

Which brings me to the "Spider-Man" reboot. I find this less likely.

But I think "Mission: Impossible 4" is very likely.

I've been wondering about "The Avengers" -- the Marvel team-up movie, not the shitty one based on a TV show -- since Iron Man is gonna be in it, I wonder if ILM will continue animating him or if they're sending the data elsewhere like they did with the last "Harry Potter" movie (ILM did not work on that).
By ShaneP
Ive wondered about Marvel's The Avengers too. ILM has been as much a reason for Iron Man's success as anyone so having them carry on with that team-up show makes sense. However, if the producers(Marvel) have to pay a ton for A-list actors(Sam Jackson, Downey, Johanssen, Evans, etc) they might decide, unwisely, to go cheap on the vfx. Marvel has thought out of their bums before.
By ShaneP
Did they do the feature work for Serenity too?

Sorry but I looked it up. Yes it was primarily Zoic with some R&H and Illusion Arts thrown in for bonus.

Edit: Special Edition'd my post. This was how I originally envisioned it. :D
By vfx fan
Realistically, I'm guessing Dneg will probably work on it.

And what is going on with the Verbinski-produced "Bioshock" movie? Maybe ILM will work on that?
By malducin
Cloud Atlas: likely
Spiderman reboot: Imageworks
Tintin: very long shot
Avengers: not sure but I think it's going to London
MI4: very likely

Bioshock: the project is dead (Verbinski wanted to make an R film, they couldn't get the financing)
By Kmart
didn't know that - bioshock not happening is nearly as weird to me as HALO getting cancelled.

Not really ILM-related, but has anybody heard exactly what Trumbull is doing on TREE OF LIFE? The trailer has some very BRAINSTORM like shots in it (stuff like the sunlight through cheese grater.
By ninja turtle
also imagemovers digital is credited on imdb for "tintin". maybe my memory is not too good, but i never heard of an animated feature with 2-3 different facilities working on it. about imagemovers digital: didn't they close the doors one year ago or something? because they are still working on big animation project, like the next zemeckis movie about the beatles.
By vfx fan
ninja turtle wrote:also imagemovers digital is credited on imdb for "tintin". maybe my memory is not too good, but i never heard of an animated feature with 2-3 different facilities working on it. about imagemovers digital: didn't they close the doors one year ago or something? because they are still working on big animation project, like the next zemeckis movie about the beatles.

Rhythm & Hues and I think Rising Sun worked with Animal Logic on "Happy Feet."

ILM also did some uncredited work for Framestore's "The Tale of Despereux."

And yeah, Imagemovers Digital, I believe, is defunct as of 2011.
By Kmart
IMD was basically kept open till a couple months ago in order to complete MARS NEEDS MOMS .. the DP was actually on the show longer than IMD stayed open, since he was still doing the various DI finals for several formats after the last of IMD's work.
By vfx fan
Kmart wrote:IMD was basically kept open till a couple months ago in order to complete MARS NEEDS MOMS .. the DP was actually on the show longer than IMD stayed open, since he was still doing the various DI finals for several formats after the last of IMD's work.

I hope this is an incentive to get Robert Zemeckis back to making live-action movies.
By ShaneP
vfx fan wrote:
Kmart wrote:IMD was basically kept open till a couple months ago in order to complete MARS NEEDS MOMS .. the DP was actually on the show longer than IMD stayed open, since he was still doing the various DI finals for several formats after the last of IMD's work.

I hope this is an incentive to get Robert Zemeckis back to making live-action movies.

Yeah and he's mentioned his first ones would be Back to the Future 4 and Roger Rabbit 2. :evil:

Maybe he should stay with the mocap stuff?
By ShaneP
Kmart wrote:didn't know that - bioshock not happening is nearly as weird to me as HALO getting cancelled.

Not really ILM-related, but has anybody heard exactly what Trumbull is doing on TREE OF LIFE? The trailer has some very BRAINSTORM like shots in it (stuff like the sunlight through cheese grater.

I noticed that too. Ive read he was a consultant. I heard he was right in the thick of it. But I haven't heard anything solid. That's not surprising though since Malick's films always seem to fly under the radar.
By aslan
Ilm's twitter site has posted several Mission Impossible 4 related tweets of late, I think this pretty much confirms their involvement.

Cloud Atlas has disapeared from IMDB, to be replaced with Pinochio and 21 Jump st ?!!

It's all bollocks.
By Kmart
[quote="ShaneP"][quote="Kmart"]didn't know that - bioshock not happening is nearly as weird to me as HALO getting cancelled.

Not really ILM-related, but has anybody heard exactly what Trumbull is doing on TREE OF LIFE? [b]The trailer has some very BRAINSTORM like shots in it [/b](stuff like the sunlight through cheese grater.[/quote]

I noticed that too. Ive read he was a consultant. I heard he was right in the thick of it. But I haven't heard anything solid. That's not surprising though since Malick's films always seem to fly under the radar.[/quote]

Well, we just found out last week that the studio isn't permitting print press on tech stuff till after the film starts its limited release, so instead of May, I guess the earliest coverage will be July. I don't think my editor is going to go for it, since there are lots of big summer pics to cover by that time, which bums me, because they said they'd get me on the phone with Trumbull as well as the DP and Dan Glass (three out of four ain't bad.)
By vfx fan
ShaneP wrote:When are the Family Ties and Cheers features coming?

Don't know, but I bet ILM is doing tests as we speak.

I think they're working on new simulations for Ted Danson's hair.
By PaulILMFan
ShaneP wrote:
vfx fan wrote:

Yeah and he's mentioned his first ones would be Back to the Future 4 and Roger Rabbit 2. :evil:

Maybe he should stay with the mocap stuff?

BTTF4 will never ever happen as of last October on the bluray press they stated once again its a trilogy & no remake either as Spielberg/Zemeckis/Gale own the rights!
Last edited by PaulILMFan on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulILMFan
MI4 not sure why the secrecy as Imdb does not even list a VFX supervisor & usually after 5 months filming you get someone's name on there & its almost always accurate. They do have some previz people though who have worked on past ILM projects along with a couple of VFX co-ordinators who also worked on past ILM projects but the thing that worries me is that they are very budget limited here so much so that Ving Rhames reportedly wanted $7M but was dropped then at the last moment came in for a day or 2's filming recently in Canada as he was spotted at the MI4 hotel where they are all staying.

ILM were integral to MI3 so you would think Cruise would use them again rather than save money on so cheap n nasty VFX like they did on MI2!!!! Still refuse to believe Cruise climbed the Dubai towers without a safety harness either!!! No way the insurers let that happen it must be a PR stunt........