Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Just a little tidbit...not sure of this has been mentioned but in the MAKING OF RETURN OF THE JEDI book, it says ILM took on "a little of THE WINDS OF WAR miniseries" while working on JEDI...It also says that's why they couldn't do CONAN. But, as you know, they did do a sequence for CONAN...
The Cynic wrote:Just a little tidbit...not sure of this has been mentioned but in the MAKING OF RETURN OF THE JEDI book, it says ILM took on "a little of THE WINDS OF WAR miniseries" while working on JEDI...It also says that's why they couldn't do CONAN. But, as you know, they did do a sequence for CONAN...

:eek: I remember watching that way back when. Wait, is this the one leading up to WW2 or the WW2 one? I remember there were two minis with Robert Mitchum.I just don't remember any vfx. But if it's in Rinzler's book, then 99.99% it is correct.
I dunno ... Rinzler includes no mention of the (EDITED HERE) 1976 ILM shutdown in his making of SW book, and he didn't respond when I queried him about it either. I got that story direct from Jon Erland, who was my first interview on the ILM retrospective back in late 95, and it dovetails with the story Adam Beckett apparently told one of those National Rags back in 77 or 78 that is also reported in CFQ's SW double issue.
Last edited by Kmart on Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kmart wrote:I dunno ... Rinzler includes no mention of the 1977 ILM shutdown in his making of SW book, and he didn't respond when I queried him about it either. I got that story direct from Jon Erland, who was my first interview on the ILM retrospective back in late 95, and it dovetails with the story Adam Beckett apparently told one of those National Rags back in 77 or 78 that is also reported in CFQ's SW double issue.

Do you mean when Fox stepped in and found out not much and been done fx-wise early that year and shut it down? Apparently, they also put one of their own handpicked executives to oversee the rest of the work much to Lucas' and Dykstra's chagrin.

I'm still trying to figure out what ILM did. There was some miniature work in the The Winds of War mini but that doesnt strike me as the type of model/miniature style of work ILM ever did undertake. It's more like the Tora!Tora!Tora! old school style of shooting large miniatures on water.
Mike Minor boarded WINDS OF WAR and went to his friends at Fantasy II -- they worked together on SPACEHUNTER too -- for most if not all of the model work. First I've heard of ILM working on it.

CFQ's CONAN coverage indicated ILM worked on it, but not where. Perhaps they just pulled mattes for VCE or something like that? I remember that they did some 'favor' in that vein for work on ROBOCOP.

As for the SW thing ... I made a goof there writing 77, it was a late summer 1976 shutdown that Rinzler omits. He mentions Dykstra fuming over a month or so of 1975 shutdown -- though that seemed weird, given that Lucas was paying for the place himself up through xmas 75 -- but he doesn't mention ILM being shuttered for a week or so, probably August 76, right before they hired the separate pyro crew. It's a pretty crucial dramatic conceit, that once ILM had gotten its systems debugged and was just really getting going, that they were sent home while there was apparently some decision being made about if/when post would resume.
Kmart wrote:Mike Minor boarded WINDS OF WAR and went to his friends at Fantasy II -- they worked together on SPACEHUNTER too -- for most if not all of the model work. First I've heard of ILM working on it.

CFQ's CONAN coverage indicated ILM worked on it, but not where. Perhaps they just pulled mattes for VCE or something like that? I remember that they did some 'favor' in that vein for work on ROBOCOP.

As for the SW thing ... I made a goof there writing 77, it was a late summer 1976 shutdown that Rinzler omits. He mentions Dykstra fuming over a month or so of 1975 shutdown -- though that seemed weird, given that Lucas was paying for the place himself up through xmas 75 -- but he doesn't mention ILM being shuttered for a week or so, probably August 76, right before they hired the separate pyro crew. It's a pretty crucial dramatic conceit, that once ILM had gotten its systems debugged and was just really getting going, that they were sent home while there was apparently some decision being made about if/when post would resume.

I think The Cynic mentioned some years ago that Edlund treated some storm footage with different optical filters. This is the storm scene where Kuran's animated demons try to take Conan. The storm clouds change colors to a deep red. On the Conan dvd commentary(one of my personal favorites), Milius mentions ILM and Kuran during that scene but not in what capacity they were working. This was before The Cynic mentioned ILM working on it so I assumed at the time that Milius just mistook Kuran as ILM because he had worked for them on Empire. They're also uncredited on the film too so I just figured Milius misspoke. Turns out he was right after all.

edit:

As for The Winds of War, there is an ending shot where Mitchum's character looks down on a harbor with a ship sailing away that looks like it might have some matte work done. Maybe that was something ILM did? It looks a bit different from the other model work in the show akin to Gene Warren's style.
12 Strong, has this been mentioned as an ILM movie on here? Don't remember seeing it spoken about! Does anyone know what they did on the show?

Ready Player One, I understand ILM did the Oasis stuff and having not watched the film would love to know what parts this includes? Deloreans, Akira,kong?.
I loved the trailer park imagery but think that might be DD stuff.
Cheers Jon
Bigjonr wrote:12 Strong, has this been mentioned as an ILM movie on here? Don't remember seeing it spoken about! Does anyone know what they did on the show?

Ready Player One, I understand ILM did the Oasis stuff and having not watched the film would love to know what parts this includes? Deloreans, Akira,kong?.
I loved the trailer park imagery but think that might be DD stuff.
Cheers Jon

Hi Bigj!

Yes, I mentioned 12 Strong here back when it was called Horse Soldiers. I'm not sure exactly what they did on the show but it is about USSpecOps in the Tora Bora region of Afghanistan immediately after 9/11.

As for RP1, ILM did all the Oasis stuff that included nods to all of those things you mentioned. DD did all of the "real world" stuff like the trailer park. Really cool DD work on the film too. They did around 200-300 shots.* They also did the pre-production previz on the show and the initial mo-cap shoot.

For more, go to the RP1 thread just below this one for links to interviews.

*per artofvfx interview with Matthew Butler
Bigjonr wrote:The Big Shot an ILM movie but all I could think they did was Christian Bales glass eye or am I missing something?

There is a time lapse scene showing some buildings being constructed. It looks like actual photography but ILM created some CG buildings in the shot. Richard Bluff supervised their work. It's a short but brilliant example of invisible vfx work perfectly mimicking photographic techniques.

Here is a link to ILM's credit page for the film. That shot featured there is the one they did for the film.

https://www.ilm.com/vfx/the-big-short/
Bigjonr wrote:Solo, noticed Lola are on-board They are known for their de-aging, do you think there might be a de-aged original trilogy character in there somewhere?

Well..... :?: That is the question right? Ia asked the same thing in the Solo thread so your guess is as good as mine.

How about a coda with a OT era Harrison/Han flying the Falcon?

Please let this happen....

LOLA has the single best method out there for this type of work. When it comes to making living actors playing older or younger selves, they have no equal. They have a better approach than either ILM, WETA, MPC, DD or others who go for a full CG person or CG head approach. As good as that stuff is, this is better. This allows the actor to perform on camera with footage that is then enhanced by LOLA. And it just looks better than a full CG head or person.
I hope ILM's approach to The Irishman goes for a hybrid approach to what they do and what LOLA does. I am still very skeptical of an all-CG approach.
vfx fan wrote:Caught a few ILM credits for ANT-MAN AND THE WASP.

Yeah they're working on that and Captain Marvel too.

In other ILM vfx news, John Knoll's next project is helping Netflix finish Orson Welles' The Other Side of the Wind..... :eek:

There's one other specific project ILM is working on right now too but I am waiting for confirmation before mentioning it.