Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Okay, so ILM is working on the new Terminator film directed by Deadpool's and Blur Studios' Tim Miller. Eric Barba is the vfx supervisor. That is one of the reasons Barba is working out of LA right now.

Now, Terminator SIX wouldn't be that big of a deal in my eyes, but that isn't what this really is. This film is ignoring the existing T3: Rise of the Machines and subsequent films and treating the Terminator canon as the first two films and then this one. This is then the real Terminator 3. Jim Cameron is also involved as a producer and helped develop the story concept.

You add in Tim Miller, Barba and ILM and this film has real potential to really reinvent and reinvigorate the entire Terminator franchise after three pretty mediocre films.
I have to say this is music to my ears, hopefully it will be r rated and proper hard core stuff.I have enjoyed parts of all of the subsequent sequels but none really blew me away, think down to casting choices primarily and rather too lighthearted in their approaches. I would love to see more future war stuff and a proper terminator hunting like in the 1st two.That said I happen to think the McG directed Salvation is much maligned in imo.The opening sequence even today is hard to fault and better. Stunning use of vfx and it felt down and dirty.Brilliant.
Bigjonr wrote:Are ILM actually doing anything on the new antman? No mention on imdb or cinefex sites!.I hope they are and they did the sequence with him using the truck like a skateboard, cannot remember a more memorable use of effects, looks stunning! Guessing Scanline for the ferry sequence

Yes, ILM is working on the film. My assumption is DNeg is the lead vendor on the show along with scanline and ILM might be working on a smaller portion of the show.

In other news:

Rob Bredow has been named as the Executive Creative Director of ILM, making him the head creative of all four of ILM's studios.

The Hollywood Reporter:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behin ... ic-1110123

and Variety:

http://variety.com/2018/artisans/news/r ... 202804792/
ILM's website updated their projects section:

Ant Man and the Wasp is being supervised by Russell Earl fresh off his Avengers Infinity War duties, and Dave Dally out of Singapore.

Aquaman is suped out of Vancouver by Philippe Rebours

Captain Marvel is being supervised by Craig Hammack.

Still no announcement yet for Aladdin, The Irishman, Overlord,Birdbox, Bumblebee, and Terminator THREE, but it still might be too soon to make those official.
Terminator 6 is currently filming in Europe. Several images leaked of Linda Hamilton
Spoiler: show
looking fit, lean & mean on a future war beach with lots of nuclear war casualty elements!
The VFX should be interesting and Tim Miller directed Deadpool so I am hoping this is the Terminator movie we all waited many years for!
Indy 5 has been pushed back again despite Spielberg saying he would shoot it April 2019 in UK. Its now unknown when it starts shooting or release (probably when ILM perfect their de-aging Harrison algorithms!). That pesky old problem of script disagreements. Disney are also rumoured to be looking for a new head of Lucasfilm ....

https://www.empireonline.com/people/ste ... a-jones-5/
https://movieweb.com/star-wars-lucasfil ... placement/
There's a band?

I look like a scruffy old lion, so I try to make the best of it.

I wish I could post more regularly, but, you know... work and stuff. You're right about the talent involved in the film Shane, reasonably interesting premise too.

Thinking about other ilm projects, I'm very concerned about The Irishman. I just don't see the cg characters working, they never have yet, and they are going to be pivotal to the film. And frankly, great director that Scorsese is, I've always found his use of vfx to be underwhelming. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah I think Ive said perhaps here in this thread or somewhere else here that The Irishman is a huge challenge. Its not just CG characters but younger versions of people we know and have seen younger. We know what they looked like. We have film after film of De Niro,Pacino, etc in their younger days in classic films. It's not like aging them where we have no reference.

So ILM and Scorsese have bitten off perhaps the most difficult challenge of all.

I am rooting for them to pull it off but it is a massive gauntlet.

edit: yes, aslan is a somewhat obscure Irish band.
vfx fan wrote:So ILM worked on ANT-MAN AND THE WASP with Russell Earl as the fx supe and Kevin Martel as the animation supe. Not sure what they did on the show. Hell, I don't even know what they did on INFINITY WAR.

ILM helped develop facial scans and development of Thanos' team and also did the vfx work for the Wakanda savanna battle with the shields and the creatures. They also did some of the disintegration shots of people at the end.