Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By Shane
Sorry. That post was dripping with sarcasm and was in response to the condescending comment about "Jerry's audiences".

I enjoyed the film alot.
By boneheadfx
Sorry. That post was dripping with sarcasm and was in response to the condescending comment about "Jerry's audiences".

I enjoyed the film alot.

Ok.

Uh, I enjoyed it a lot too. :borg:
By Shane
I always wondered, is that a laser ray the Borg have for an eye? Could it shoot a laser beam? Just wonderin........ :(
By boneheadfx
I always wondered, is that a laser ray the Borg have for an eye? Could it shoot a laser beam? Just wonderin........

I don't know. I've always been too afraid to ask him.
By Shane
Would they rename you Borghead fx?

[attempting friendly reportoire]BTW, where's your review sucka? :D

Come on Clubber Lang! Come on!
By boneheadfx
Ok. My review:

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN:DEAD MAN'S CHEST

As reviewed by

BORGHEADFX.

I thought it was cool.

COPYRIGHT:2006 BORGHEADFX LLC.

No seriously, I did enjoy it. Maybe not quite as good as the original, but still enjoyable. FX wise, I thought Davey Jones was pretty flawless (and there was a lot of time to look for flaws with all the long and close shots of him-didn't see none). I really liked the mass given to the Kraken-I really bought that he was a big, heavy creature. Great matchmoving with some of the ship flyovers (like the beached Black Pearl, at least I'm assuming it was a comp-could be wrong about that).
My only complaint, (similar to Ahems), is that maybe it was a bit TOO much. I think some sequences could have been slimmed down a bit and still have been exciting. Otherwise, it was the most enjoyable film I've seen in a while.
By Kmart
ShaneP wrote:Kmart
Or is your point that he couldn't pursue that because of the nature of the business?

That's my point. And it's not much of a victory because that's the way it turns out with utopian revolutions.

Kmart
If so, that isn't much of a victory. If they'd won, wouldn't the studio system itself been entirely dismantled (in a way it was, but with even more corporate minded morons stepping in instead of artist types?)

They wanted to dismantle it at first but really just ended up replacing the earlier conservative regime with their own.....themselves.

Did Lenin give the land back to the peasants or did the revolutionary proletarian guard replace one corrupt system with another?

Utopias only get you so far and the consequences can have the opposite intented effect.

Kmart
As for GL needing to start ILM to make SW ... if he'd been willing to work with Trumbull instead of dictate to him, I bet he wouldn't have needed to form ILM to make SW ... and I bet SW would have looked better than it did.

I think Trumbull had his hands full on another little film....with UFOs and stuff.
[/i]

CE3K wasn't a go at this point, so if GL had grabbed Trumbull, it would be Spielberg who would have been short an fx company ... hmm, interesting alternate history here ...

No, but I laughed. Ahem is apparently above that kind of silly humour....that's why he said it was designed for "Jerry's audiences".
By Anakinbrego
Davey Jones was completely CG fom head to toe, a milestone in Visual Effects!! ILM will now get their long over due Oscar!! Here at this forum John Knoll, his name on the forum is HadleyRille, has given his confirmation that Davey Jones is a 100% photoreal CG character!!! http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 460&page=5
By malducin
I don't know why is that surprising since we had news here that he was completely CG before the movie opened.

I wouldn't bet on the Oscar yet either (even if it's long overdue for Knoll), but it's just the middle of the year and lots of other things can happen.
By kofman
Just curious, what's slated to come out that can throw a wrench in ILM's parade?

I glanced at CINEFEX's release list but didn't seen any interesting projects.
By jonroberts
Anakinbrego wrote:Davey Jones was completely CG fom head to toe, a milestone in Visual Effects!! ILM will now get their long over due Oscar!! Here at this forum John Knoll, his name on the forum is HadleyRille, has given his confirmation that Davey Jones is a 100% photoreal CG character!!! http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 460&page=5

Looking at the films that have been released already this year and the ones still to come ILM should be in with a good chance this year of Oscar glory, Poseidon, POTC already out and Eragon still to come. Other stand out projects being Superman and X Men 3. I haven't seen any of them yet as I hate the cinema going experience in this country so would be interesting to see what you guys see as the best effects so far this year?

What is the cinema going experience like in other countries, because when ever I go I have to deal with continuous talking, burping, farting,unwrapping and throwing of sweets and general bad behaviour (well thats my wife described!!), so DVD at home is the only way for me to totally enjoy a movie, and yes I know I am missing out on the big screen experience.Going to the cinema would probably save me a fortune in DVD purchases as well, as I tend to buy all the big movies each year before renting them.Just a few missing from my ILM collection, but still 380 of the buggers gathering dust. Think I might be slightly obsessive about film
By malducin
Well my point is that the Academy is fickle so I would wait to the end of the year. Pirates 2 should easily make the bakeoff. But as an example, take Superman Returns, a movie well received by critics but somewhat a bit of a BO disappointment. POTC2 had more mixed reviews but it's looking to become one of the biggest hits this year. You never know if the Academy will choose something later that would give the members reason to vote for it. The fact that Flags of our Fathers will get a big Cinefex coverage actually surprised me. How cn we tell if there's a nomination out there that pulls an upset like Gladiator did if it's considered a "better overall" film?

Of course I would be glad if POTC2 won it. I know several people there who have worked very hard on it, some basically as soon as the first one opened back in 2003. And it has really ppayed off, I was definitely blown away.

I'll try to post a review later on.
By jonroberts
malducin wrote:Well my point is that the Academy is fickle so I would wait to the end of the year. The fact that Flags of our Fathers will get a big Cinefex coverage actually surprised me. How cn we tell if there's a nomination out there that pulls an upset like Gladiator did if it's considered a "better overall" film?

I was under the impression the film was more about the after effects of the landings, obviously it would be including serious battle effects but centred on the lives of the men after raising the flag when they got home.

Don't know where I read that, could be very wrong!!
By Shane
I was under the impression the film was more about the after effects of the landings, obviously it would be including serious battle effects but centred on the lives of the men after raising the flag when they got home.

I guess it depends on how long the film is. Even if it only has some battle stuff in the first hour say, if it's 3 hours long, that's still alot of combat footage.
BTW, Eastwood shot the Iwo Jima battle in Iceland.
By Ahem
I spoke to a crew member directly involved with the production from the start. They assured me the rumour my friend had passed on is completely untrue, about the "political rewrites" which I refered to earlier, as they saw the script from draft outline to final shooting script.

SPOILER

I'm almost guessing part 3 will be a LAST CRUSADE style back to basics retread of the first movie, after the very apologetic appearance of Geoffrey Rush at the the end of part 2.

END SPOILER
Last edited by Ahem on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ahem
As for VFX oscars- as much as I thought Davey Jones was lousy, distracting, boring and unneccesary excess as far as storytelling context goes, it really is impossible to fault any of the technical qualities of that performance (it seems derogatory to refer to it as animation). if anyone had told me that was an animatronic head set I'd believe them with no questions asked.
Last edited by Ahem on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Shane
Yeah, Jones' whole work is excellent. The eyes are the part that really nailed it for me. They make the rest of the face come together and be so distinguishable.

Then you think of the wardrobe and rest of the body being CG and it's all really spectacular.
By malducin
Really?!?! I guess I should check the tomatometer then. During VES everyone was mentioning the slightly negative review Pirates 2 was given. Though since I was mostly cut from any internet access I couldn't find out what was happening.
By EwanMagic
I am very very satisfied by the VFX in POTC2

Impress me so much

I really think there should be long due for John Knoll this year.
How come a people have been creating, redefining and shaping the era of DIGITAL IMAGING (lots of new concept of digital imaging are from the use of PHOTOSHOP) haven't recieve any major awards? Althouh John Knoll has been nominated for more times than other supervisior in the industry.

Will oscar member give the credit he already deserve many years ago(without biased against lucas' company)
By Shane
There's a great discussion anakinbrego linked to above. John Knoll and few other ILMers involved are commenting on the Pirates 2 work.

Here's the link:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 460&page=5

Malducin already knows about it.

I love the comment about the beached Black Pearl on Cannibal Island being a 1/6 scale miniature. 8)

*Note to self.....add another :omg: to list of great Pirates 2 fx*