Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By Puppet Master
I'll be 23 in December, I'm from Montreal (Canada), I think I'm the most recent to have logged on to this forum so I'd like to say hi to all.

:smile:
By malducin
Was that when they pause and Spock gives Kirk a book as a birthday present
(Tale of Two Cities I think)? Wow I'm impressed it's been a while since I've seen Khan. I didn't realize that was a miniature, don't have that Cinefex and first time I heard this description. Maybe that should be my next acquisition.
On 2001-11-08 12:31, Kmart wrote:
Early in the film, when they leave the simulator after Spock has 'died,' Kirk and Spock pause after walking down a hallway. They cut to a wide shot inside this Starfleet building, with steps in the foreground, plus a celestial sphere (one of those things that shows earth inside a clear globe with star markings on it). Behind and above them, there is a skylight with vines and plants.
<SNIP cool description>

Kevin
By malducin
Harryhausen is da man!!! I can relate to the feeling, I met afew FX guys I always end up sounding like a babling idiot. To me it worked the other way, saw Star Wars first and that got me interested in FX but around the same time saw the Simbad and the Eye of the Tiger and some older Harryhausen films and got me interested in checking some classics. Of course I became a fan, especially after seeing Earth vs. UFOs.

BTW, welcome Puppet Master. Disregard the mess around here until I get the main site up :-P.
<SNIP bio>
But Harryhausen was the real big one for me. The first time I saw "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" and when the Cyclops came out of that cave I almost crapped my pants. That, at the time, was probably the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. When I got to meet Harryhausen a while back it was like meeting the President or something-I was a stammering idiot! I was so nervous I could barely ask "C-c-could I-I h-have your a-a-autograph p-please??" He was so nice-an absolute gentleman. That was such a great honor for me.
By Puppet Master
No prob malducin, thanx for the welcome
By Kmart
[quote]
On 2001-11-08 23:08, malducin wrote:
Was that when they pause and Spock gives Kirk a book as a birthday present
(Tale of Two Cities I think)? Wow I'm impressed it's been a while since I've seen Khan. I didn't realize that was a miniature, don't have that Cinefex and first time I heard this description. Maybe that should be my next acquisition.

[quote]
On 2001-11-08 12:31, Kmart wrote:
Early in the film, when they leave the simulator after Spock has 'died,' Kirk and Spock pause after walking down a hallway. SNIP

Yeah, when Kirk thanks him for that bigass book. This info is probably in the Cinefantastique issue that features Khan and Blade Runner, and may be in the book making of star trek 2 also, but don't look for a Cinefex on it. I was always wondering why they didn't cover it, and when I asked Don about it, he said the article they got was in real bad shape, so he just never bothered. Kinda surprised me; this was just last year when I found out, so I offered to 'fix it up a little' just so we could have a new article to put on the cinefex website, but he wasn't interested. Too bad, I'd have liked to have read what was there and seen if there was any new/unknown stuff (and seen who wrote it for that matter), besides what has been featured in American Cinematographer.
Kevin
By Shane
I have that Cinefantastique issue. I'll have to look it up, and also re-watch the movie. :smile:
By dr.CGI
sh******, it seems that I am the youngest fx newbie here. :oops::oops::oops:
By The Cynic
This is for Malducin and Kevin Martin (and everyone else, I suppose). Just read that Star Trek II will have a special edition DVD release on 6/25/02. I know that's a while off but at least we know it is on its way.

I also have that CFQ issue. Mine has ST II on the cover. I know there is one with a Blade Runner cover but I think you had to order it.

I know I alread answered the topic question on an earlier post, but this is on PAGE 2! I am 31 years old at the moment. You young whippersnappers! Get off my lawn!
By Shane
Yes sir...old timer. :grin:
By Kmart
The KHAN news is great! I just hope they get somebody who knows their stuff to put together a killer supplement, and maybe they can set the movie part up to either run the theatrical cut or the longer Meyer cut.

I think they took out 8-10 min before it came out ... some of that went back in on ABC, but the only place I ever saw the reference to Saavik being half-Romulan (explaining her swearing and such) was when Ken Ralston visited the old Channel 2 San Francisco show Creature Features after the film first hit theaters. They ran that lost Kirk/Spock exchange about Saavik, and I think Ralston may have brought a Ceti Eel and an itty-bitty Reliant built for long shots.
Damn, 20 years and I can still remember this stuff ... why in hell didn't I remember to do the laundry today?
Although I usually hate the idea of digital fixes after the fact, I could stand somebody going back in and fixing the eyes on Khan's second-in-command -- he dies with them open, but when Khan hugs him, the actor can't keep from closing the eyes, and that tiny lil thing bugs the hell out of me. And maybe they can do some algorithm thing to sharpen up that out of focus shot of Kirk standing their drinking romulan ale - it is like they focused on the glass instead of the actor (picky-picky).
By malducin
Hey don't complain I do remember doing the laundry but I usually forget a lot of this trivia ;-). Though come think about it the dishes are still pending.

I was wondering where that extra long Khan showed. I remember it seeing it but didn't remeber the network. Still have to watch the ST:TMP DVD to see how well Paramount did.
By Kmart
Oh man, don't get me started on this Trek I director's cut! It's a good thing that movie is Apogee/EEG product and that this is an ILM site, 'cause otherwise I'd probably cut into your bandwidth (is that the term? I'm technologically impaired, that's probably why I write) with a posting or two on the current edition's shortcomings. Though to be honest, there are some improvements: the picture is brighter and the colors warmer.

On an ILM subject ... has anybody got a xerox copy of the old American Cineematographer on the first STAR WARS, circua summer 1977? I don't seem to have my copy of the mag and cannot really justify spending $50 or more from ebay. I checked with AC's editor and he said they've been out of print for awhile and going for three figures sometimes, plus it doesn't seem to have been posted online anywhere. I don't need the issue, just the SW parts as a reference check for a project I'm working on. I'd gladly pay a few bucks for copying and mailing if anybody can help out (end shameless plug).
By The Cynic
Don't have the AC on Star Wars. But I do have the incredible issue of Cinefantastique on Star Wars that has interviews with just about every name in the credits. Fascinating look back at the beginnings of nearly every major effects player of today. Not for sale, however....
By buddyleeoo
I became interested in movies, let alone visual effects, from when I saw Independence Day. I was very excited about this movie, and it filled my expectations. Although I'm now older, and don't really look back on the movie as the GREATEST achievement, it made me excited about movies. And after watching greats from the present AND past, I have become ever more interested in films.
By Indraneel
Hi all u ILM fans. I am 24 and am really really really crazy about special effects and animation. I am working as a graphics director in a gaming company. I have just registered to ILMfan Forums. Hope we have a good time....
By JVS
Welcome everybody who is new to these forums! Have a nice time on these boards!

JVS

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JVS on 2001-11-18 13:25 ]</font>
By aslan
Hello to everyone, I have just joined this party and am looking forward to sharing the visual effects future with you all. Oh, and im 32.
By JVS
Heeeellloooooo Aslan! Welcome to these boards!
By Kodiak
Hi all!

Well I am a 19 year old computer hardware tech. I have just compleated 6 weeks of workexperiance at a post house here in NZ. I was assistant SGI tech and trainee video F/X tech.

I have a strong interst in SGI gear and am all but cert in working with it.

I love StarWars and think Jar Jar Binks is great. :smile:

I got intersted in the gear then I got intersted in the effects. I love the PodRace in TPM. It rocks more than anything else I have ever seen in any other film. It is so real it is almost a crime.

Well that is a bit about me...

Cheers!

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kodiak on 2001-11-18 19:11 ]</font>
By malducin
It was the other way around for me, got interested in FX and CG first and then found out about SGI. I remember reading about them many years ago on the old Byte magazine. But after that I started getting interested in workstations and Unix, though in practice I had limited exposure to the gear, but it was great.