Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

Just saw this a little earlier.

The good:
Seamless interesting & unique VFX some of it is absolutely stunning work especially in the opening few minutes ILM or Digital Domain did a stunning job on a key scene :omg:
Linda Hamilton makes a triumphant return to the franchise & nails it way more than you could ever expect her to & is in pretty much every scene in the entire movie once she appears. Its really her film :thumbup:
Arnie is only in about 45 mins of the movie & fits in ok with an extended cameo. The newcomers to the main cast are really good especially Gabriel Luna as the absolutely terrifying new threat :eek:

The bad:
The action in places is just a little OTT it takes you out of the movie & it becomes more of a marvel super hero movie than a Terminator sequel. Slightly disappointed they needed to go that far in that direction as up until then it was a very solid sequel to T2.

The ugly:
Something happens which changes how you will feel about T2 I felt it was perhaps done more for shock value than makes much story sense I can see why they did it but near the end of the film I was hoping they would revert or reverse that story choice as it would have made for an incredible crowd reaction. Instead they went in another direction.

Overall:
Action at times is wall to wall this movie is a combination of greatest hits from T1 & T2 but ramped to maximum & taken to a whole new level with seamless CG to live action melds some of which are very edge of your seat moments. I did not once notice the running time of 2 hours 8 mins the movie goes by at a relentless pace but also finds time for several low octane actor to actor key character scenes. Tim Miller did a solid job directing this no-one can match Cameron but he does a very good job of matching him at times.

Its a sequel which never really needed to be made but it does explain where Linda Hamilton's character went after T2 & gives some closure to her story but also opens up a never ending time paradox question about fate & can it be changed or should it be left to play out itself to avoid causing alternate time ripples! I do not think anyone seeing this will feel they wasted their money at all as there is a tremendous amount of entertainment & a few genuine shocks along the way :thumbup:
Last edited by PaulILMFan on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not going to even ask how it stands up against The Terminator and T2, but how does it measure up to Rise of the Machines, Salvation and Genysis?
I loved Rise Of The Machines this stands as the 3rd best movie after T1+2. Even on its own its a very solid movie and works as a sci-fi actioner its enjoyable and full of some BIG crowd pleasing moments I think it will do very well financially but the end of the movie is more Mission Impossible vs Marvel than belongs in a Terminator movie. They really went for some massive action sequences I think its almost 30 mins of wall to wall action in the climax!

Some people will really love that I guess. Me I would have preferred some more low key stuff and a little more this is the unintended consequence of time travel type of exposition!

Its really an amalgamation of T1+2 done in a modern style & some people are going to really love that & freak out at times its very intense way more than T2 ever was :eek: I think you will enjoy it a lot Shane :thumbup:
I know this is out of context, but in the trailer, the stuff with people falling through the air on machines looked like something out of the trailer for THE A TEAM, just horrendous. Is that stuff actually in the movie?

I'm asking because after years of not going to see movies because the projection is so bad and there's very little that interests me, I am now thinking of seeing a few things, at least JOKER and AD ASTRA, because I just saw an advance screening of SEBERG and it looked gorgeous, like it was an L.A. screening from 20 years ago. It was at a theater half a mile from home, one I haven't been in for a decade because the last 3 times I went, it looked like a drive-in, all washed out. So I may actually go see this one, now that the issue of crappy projection seems to have been solved. (and I really really liked SEBERG too ... it didn't do anything too artsy, it just told a story and did a really good job of capturing period. Hard to believe you can make something this good for just 9 mil.)
I know this is out of context, but in the trailer, the stuff with people falling through the air on machines looked like something out of the trailer for THE A TEAM, just horrendous. Is that stuff actually in the movie?

I'm asking because after years of not going to see movies because the projection is so bad and there's very little that interests me, I am now thinking of seeing a few things, at least JOKER and AD ASTRA, because I just saw an advance screening of SEBERG and it looked gorgeous, like it was an L.A. screening from 20 years ago. It was at a theater half a mile from home, one I haven't been in for a decade because the last 3 times I went, it looked like a drive-in, all washed out. So I may actually go see this one, now that the issue of crappy projection seems to have been solved. (and I really really liked SEBERG too ... it didn't do anything too artsy, it just told a story and did a really good job of capturing period. Hard to believe you can make something this good for just 9 mil.)
Yes can confirm it is in the movie & belongs in a Tom Cruise explode-a-thon or Deadpool3 than a Terminator movie! Its a shame as up until then the movie was fairly solid most of the time. Without spoiling all I will say is the extended climax features so much OTT action & gravity defying nonsense you just have to park your brain its really OTT & ludicrous!!

The one thing I would highly recommend though is go just to see the opening 10 minutes alone is well worth the price of admission :wink: then most of the following 1 hour 20 mins or so is fairly entertaining & some of the early action sequences are very intense & high octane :thumbup: when I say intense as well I mean REALLY grip your seat at times intense action that is one thing they really nailed well for a lot of the movie.
I think Weta might've worked on the key scene at the beginning.

The best part of the movie was the cup of soda I got with my popcorn. Other than that, the movie was pretty bland. I just didn't care, and it tries way too hard to make women tough. While Linda Hamilton did a really good job, MacKenzie Davis was just awkward in trying too hard to look tough. She still looked like Macaulay Culkin in his Home Alone days.

I don't get this trend of making women tough action heroes as if it was never done before. I thought it was pulled off much better in the '80s and '90s, with movies like The Terminator and T2.
Box office is really low mainly due to
Spoiler: show
the way they killed a fan favorite character off in a heavy handed totally unnecessary fashion!
its unlikely there is another Terminator movie in the next 10 years or so this is it which is a bit of a shame as Linda Hamilton really owned her signature role :eek:
Okay, so ILM did do the key scene. Beware of spoilers behind this link.
Thought it was ILM that looked super real on the big screen! Shame they did what they did though to me that pretty much ended the franchise much the same way Alien 3 opening detracted from Aliens :roll:

All through the movie I was hoping the same ILM technology would be re-used again to give us a happier alternate time line glimpse into that key scene era between those 2 characters thriving or at least still together.....