Open discussion about ILM and the magic they create. Also VFX and movies in general. Anyone can post topics here.

Moderator: malducin

By TylerMirage
The Academy has announced the 20 films from this year (2018) (jeez, this year has been looooooong) to start off the races for the Oscars.

https://variety.com/2018/film/awards/os ... sv4Fx3pHYc

“Ant-Man and the Wasp”
“Aquaman”
“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Black Panther”
“Bumblebee”
“Christopher Robin”
“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”
“First Man”
“Incredibles 2”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Mission: Impossible – Fallout”
“Mortal Engines”
“The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”
“Paddington 2”
“A Quiet Place”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”
“Welcome to Marwen”
By ShaneP
I'm not against animated films getting vfx consideration, but they do have their own nominations for Best Animated Feature. It is a bit frustrating to see some really good live-action vfx work get passed over to make room for animated films.
By TylerMirage
I'm not against animated films getting vfx consideration, but they do have their own nominations for Best Animated Feature. It is a bit frustrating to see some really good live-action vfx work get passed over to make room for animated films.
I agree. Animated movies may "use" visual effects, but it's not like they use visual effects, you know what I mean? Probably not, since I'm having a hard time articulating, ha ha. It's unfortunately getting really blurry, and with movies like the new Lion King coming out, it's not getting any clearer.

Who would you have included instead of First Man and Isle of Dogs, Shane?
By TylerMirage
Wait, Incredibles 2 is also on the list? *scrolls back up to double-check the list that I, myself, wrote*
Incredibles 2, First Man and Isle of Dogs. So, 1/7 of the VFX nominees are fully animated films? :eek:

Rampage is definitely an obvious omission. Can't believe I didn't notice that one missing. Even Venom, Overlord, The Meg or Pacific Rim: Uprising deserve to be in that list of 20. Heck, Skyscraper? The Predator?
By ShaneP
Wait, Incredibles 2 is also on the list? *scrolls back up to double-check the list that I, myself, wrote*
Incredibles 2, First Man and Isle of Dogs. So, 1/7 of the VFX nominees are fully animated films? :eek:

Rampage is definitely an obvious omission. Can't believe I didn't notice that one missing. Even Venom, Overlord, The Meg or Pacific Rim: Uprising deserve to be in that list of 20. Heck, Skyscraper? The Predator?
Yes, those are some other solid vfx films perhaps for this long list.

vfx fan, I haven't had a chance to see Overlord yet. Same with Bumblebee and the other upcoming ones.
By vfx fan
They also omitted THE IRISHMAN. I thought that was coming to theaters in limited release this year, unless I'm mistaken...